Windows XP DCPROMO.EXE Problems

Reaction score
Hello, I hope someone out there can help me.

I am supporting a client's domain. They have requested a member server be promoted to be a secondary domain controller in a Windows 2000 domain.

When I run dcpromo to promote the member server, I receive the following error in the GUI portion:

The operation failed because:

Managing the network session with \\hostname.domain.lan failed

"The network path was not found."

I have checked dcpromo.log, and found the following messages:

Error - Managing the network session with \\hostname.domain.lan failed (53)
Failed to establish the session with \\hostname.domain.lan: 0x35

Some background:

The primary domain controller is pointed to itself for DNS (DNS server installed).
The member server I'm trying to promote is pointed to the domain controller for DNS.
The two servers are on the same subnet (ie 192.168.0.x)

On the server I'm trying to promote, I can browse to the domain controller with \\hostname, but not \\hostname.domain.lan.

I have followed Microsoft's instructions on resetting permissions on the SYSVOl, SYSVOL\domain, and SYSVOL\domain\policies folders on the domain controller. I have checked to ensure the network adapter with File and Print Sharing enabled is listed first in the bindings. I've made sure there's an A record for the member server in DNS. SRV records appear to be in DNS.

I've been beating my head against the wall for a few hours now. Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Turns out it was as simple as the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper and File Replication services not being started. Our security guys generally turn these off when they're hardened, and I never even thought about them.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question