DNS Server 2008 r2 cant add comp to domain error

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am suffering from the error:

"Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "sl33prdevdesigns.com":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.sl33prdevdesigns.com

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:"

I have a HP DL380 server running server 2008 r2 standard with AD DS, DNS, and DHCP installed. My IP address is static and everything seems ok. I can ping from the desktop running win 7 and remote connect, but I cannot join my computer to the domain. I can also ping the desktop from the server. I do not have a great deal of experience with servers, but I have been attempting to research & solve this issue for a week now!

ps- domain name: sl33prdevdesigns.com & It is a small business network so I did not setup reverse lookup... PLEASE HELP ME!!! :bow:

IPv4: 192.168.0.197
subnet is the same on both machines
default gateway & dns server are the same: 192.168.0.1

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tried dcdiag /v and everything checks out okay. netdaig /fix is pre 2008 and is not supported. I know my problem lies in the DNS I'm just not sure what is wrong?

I CAN NOT ping by computer name (ie "ping computer1") I CAN ping ip addresses both ways.

Thanks,
James

Reaction score
Interesting note...In Server Manager under my DNS "Forwarders" --> Properties, the DNS ip address is valid but the "Server FQDN" name says Unable to resolve.
-James

Reaction score
Hey all,
so I just wanted to chime in my 2cents and let you know that I have fixed my issue. I searched for a long time before realizing a few mistakes I had made.

1. Firewall was killing my port throughput (ie unable to ping by name)

2. On my client pc the dns related error was do to my IPv4 properties being set wrong (ie under dns ip my system was set to point to my dns server, and not my actual server's ip)

3. ipconfig /flushdns is your friend

Thanks,
James:cheers:

Reaction score
Hey all,
so I just wanted to chime in my 2cents and let you know that I have fixed my issue. I searched for a long time before realizing a few mistakes I had made.

1. Firewall was killing my port throughput (ie unable to ping by name)

2. On my client pc the dns related error was do to my IPv4 properties being set wrong (ie under dns ip my system was set to point to my dns server, and not my actual server's ip)

3. ipconfig /flushdns is your friend

Thanks,
James:cheers:
jamesonh20
hi please help me step by step I am also having same problem

Ask a Question