cursors

G

A lot of my cursor files are missing because the c:\windows\cursors folder is empty. I went to c:\windows\i386 to look for the files, and I found files with the same name and a very close extension... the extensions are .cu_ and .an_. I copied those files and then changed the extensions, however, windows refuses to reconize those files. I hovered my mouse over the files and it said they were either cursor or animated cursor files. I went to the control panel and chose mouse, then pointers, and I still get the same message saying some of the cursors are missing.
How can I fix this problem? (If it helps, I use a windows xp, and the windows xp cd never came with my computer - I was told to make some system recovery cds instead.)

~Thanks in advance.

R

roger

Hi DMG9,

A lot of my cursor files are missing because the c:\windows\cursors folder is empty. I went to c:\windows\i386 to look for the files, and I found files with the same name and a very close extension... the extensions are .cu_ and .an_. I copied those files and then changed the extensions, however, windows refuses to reconize those files. I hovered my mouse over the files and it said they were either cursor or animated cursor files. I went to the control panel and chose mouse, then pointers, and I still get the same message saying some of the cursors are missing.
How can I fix this problem? (If it helps, I use a windows xp, and the windows xp cd never came with my computer - I was told to make some system recovery cds instead.)

~Thanks in advance.

The files with an extension like .cu_ and .an_ are compressed files,
you can expand them with the expand.exe file that comes in the i386
folder in your XP CD. You have to open a command prompt in the folder,
and type
expand file_name.cu_ "C:windows\cursors\file_name.cur"
and so on with all the files. It will be a chore, I'm afraid.

You could also go to Start > Run > msconfig
in the general tab click 'expand file'
select the origin folder and the destination folder.
I think this way it is easier.

Good luck

Ask a Question