Cures for a hangover

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
This simple American asks for help.... save me from a hangover!! Does anyone have any proven 'cures' to rid meself from one? I already know the "Drink water before" and "DONT DRINK". :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Even afterwards drinking lots of water helps :) As long as you don't feel sick and it's just a headache, I always find a bacon&egg sandwich helps :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Bacon and egg sandwich sounds good.... but i dont have bacon or eggs! T.T
But i have to agree - food does help, as long as its not too heavy.

Reaction score
Just stay p*ssed everyday like I do. :p But on a serious note. If I am drinking beer I try to drink a glass of water every few pints. You might think you are filling yourself with liquid, but drinking dehydrates you. Also try and eat something like a pack of salty nuts or salty crisps/chips while you are drinking. Your body lacks salt when you are dehydrated.
And finally before bed drink a glass of ice water, that is if you actually make it to bed and don't pass out somewhere.
The next motning, this might sound wierd, but I have to drink tea from a polystyrene cup, followed bt a greasy fry up. Always works for me....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
There is only ONE answer - fluids, and as much as you can possibly take.

Drink as much water as you can whilst drinking alcohol too.

Hangovers are the result of dehydration. Simple as that. :thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Main thing to do is drink water game, quite understandable! Unfortunately it seems i didnt drink enough water last night, ehhhhhhhhhh. Upset stomach and throbbing head, strange isnt it? I hate hangovers.... but that doesnt stop me from drinking too much. :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Anouther thing i noticed, Sprite or 7-up work wonders for upset stomachs!

Reaction score
If I do and it's not often at all go out on the beer I always, Always when I get home drink a full pint of water or two cups of tea and take two paracetamol before i go to bed no matter how pished I am

It really does make a difference. Really!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.alka-seltzer.com/as/products.html#video

I always take a pint of water before bed after a session.
nod.gif

If I ain't right in the morning then 2 Alka-Seltzer originals in a glass of water helps lots.
nod.gif

Never tried their Wake-UP Call though.

happywave.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Milk Thistle tablets? never tried em - ill give it a shot!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
As stated by the right honourable TD

as many cups of tea with sugar and milk as you can ...trust me its all down to blood sugar levels...:)

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"Dehydration is responsible for most of the nastier effects of a hangover. Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it speeds the loss of water from the body - causing parched-mouth thirst, headaches and that feeling of continual dizziness. Nausea, vomiting and indigestion are caused by alcohol irritating the stomach lining, and can add to the dehydration."

"Before you go out, eat a good meal. On this occasion only, a fatty one is beneficial as fat is digested slowly and will protect the stomach from the irritating effects of alcohol. A glass of milk also protects the stomach and slows the absorption of alcohol.

While you're out, alternating water or non-fizzy soft drinks with alcoholic ones limits the amount of alcohol you consume. Avoid fizzy drinks as they increase the amount of alcohol getting into the bloodstream."

"Before you go to bed, drink at least a pint of water and some orange juice - vitamin C speeds up the metabolism of alcohol by the liver. Eat some toast, too - a lack of sugar is responsible for that wobbly, trembling feeling and it will help to settle your stomach. A sports drink is a convenient alternative."

"It's best to plan ahead and have a few things close to hand. If you're feeling queasy, antacid liquid or tablets will settle your stomach, as will a cup of ginger tea. Ibuprofen or paracetamol will relieve your headache. Anti-sickness tablets may come in handy.

Once again, water, vitamin C (fruit juice or tablets) and toast are the best things to consume. Eggs are also good as they're packed with cysteine, which is said to mop up the destructive chemicals that build up in the liver when it's metabolising alcohol. This probably explains why a hearty English breakfast does the job - if you can face it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/hangover1.shtml

happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Ibuprofen will relieve your headache.

It might well upset your stomach too - I'm surprised that's recommended. :eek:

Remember, too, that Alka Seltzer contains Aspirin and may also upset your stomach. It is NOT a remedy for tummy upsets.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
nivrip said:
It might well upset your stomach too - I'm surprised that's recommended. :eek:

Remember, too, that Alka Seltzer contains Aspirin and may also upset your stomach. It is NOT a remedy for tummy upsets.

http://www.alka-seltzer.com/as/as_original.html

Here is a link to the full effects and guidelines in using Alka Seltzer.

Works for me , but then I don't get wasted that often.

happywave.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Awesome info Abarb! Maybe with a little planning i can stop those day-destroying hangovers!

Ask a Question