Crysis won't start!!!! Not even on my new graphics card!!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I went out on a limb to Malaysia to get a graphics card that can run Crysis! And I can't get it to start!!!! A successful install, also installed Direct X 9.0 but when I try to launch the game, I get a black screen and then the computer crashes back to the desktop. Any help?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

When built my first PC in feb i had 2 x hd 3650 in Crossfire and that would only run Crysis on low Res on medium to low settings, one is gonna struggle big time.

Have you enabled the 3D acceleration in ATI Catalyst???

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Hi,

When built my first PC in feb i had 2 x hd 3650 in Crossfire and that would only run Crysis on low Res on medium to low settings, one is gonna struggle big time.

Have you enabled the 3D acceleration in ATI Catalyst???
There's no option or setting in advanced view.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
"The program needed to be updated may be corrupt, missing or a different version".

Now what am I going to do!!!! :mad:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I got it working! Yay, I forgot to run setup.bat file when I noticed in the install directory "Run me 1st before playing"

I just wish they got rid of that rubbish "nVidia the way it's NOT ment to be played"
Or am I the only one in the world who like ATI more than nVidia?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
dude dont use AA. :)

Try a custom .cfg. :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah it probably will do, i think i read somewhere that ATI cards only support 4 x AA or something else all together, plus as i said i had two of those cards and if its the DDR2 one then they just can't cope very well with demanding games.

Glad to hear you got it sorted though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Captain Jack Sparrow said:
Or am I the only one in the world who like ATI more than nVidia?

Probably ;)

Tell me, go on, just tell me why, you prefer ATI to Nvidia.

I don't have a major preference for either, I just buy whoever's producing the best card at time of purchase.

And at this current time, in my opinion, Nvidia rool.

I don't like the way ATI require you to have MS net framework installed to run the Catalyst Control Centre within Windows and Nvidia supply much better support for their cards within Linux. ATI Linux support is relatively non-existent.

And those are two other reasons why I prefer Nvidia at this moment in time.

However, if ATI bought out a killer card, at a good price and with stable drivers, I'd choose ATI.

Now then, back to my original question :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Probably ;)

ATI Linux support is relatively non-existent.

:)

Not quite non existent !

http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/linux.html#1

happywave.gif
:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Note the word 'relatively'. Thank you :)

ATI drivers for Linux, from what I read all over the place, are pretty much crap and don't work very well, if at all. Nvidia Linux drivers do mostly work, but not always, depending on the distro and hardware, tis fair to say.

Still waiting for an answer.....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well all I can say is the ATI Catlyst Center and driver work just fine with me 1950 Pro card and me Mandriva 64 Bit. Did take a fiddle or two to get there but I think the 32 Bit version is pretty much instal and use.

nod.gif

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Flopps,

I hate nVidia, because of a bad experience from them, from 2006-2007, ALL of my games always crashed back to desktop, exept Toontown, this was solved when I ripped out the nVidia card and put an ATI one in my desktop PC. My ATI card has never failed me exept when I got back from my holiday, it died and ceased to function. After fitting the new ATI radeon HD card, everything works fine again. A Laptop with an nVidia card gave me the same problems as decribed above.

That's why I am never going back to nVidia ever again! I despise them just a I despise Intel Graphics Media Accelerator! That's why my opinion is that nVidia graphics cards belong in the trash.

I suppose you guys had better luck with nVidia?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I think that Nvidia offers alot more in the low to mid range graphics cards, 8600GT spanks HD3650.

Also i had another thread about my brothers 8600GTS blowing up and replacing it with a HD3850, not alot of difference and the HD3850 is supposed to be alot better.

Also the HDMI support on ATI is shocking.

Plus having owned upto 3 x HD3650 at one point i think they run too hot and you don't get alot of bang for buck at all.

However from the benchmarks i've read the new 4850 and 4870 are very good, but then again they do have GDDR5 memory.

Ask a Question