Crunching ??

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Why do we crunch ????...whats it about???? what will we achieve if anything ?????

can someone explain pls :) ...maybe more people out there want to do it ..if only they knew why ???

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Although there are no guarantees as with most things in life I think what it boils down to is that most of us who are PC enthusiasts/geeks see a way to help out our fellow man in a way that we know what we are doing and have some input.

To clarify there is no shortage of charities these days and don't get me wrong many have the best of intentions however there are also endless horror stories of the money donated not getting to where it was intended due to too much being lost to administrative costs.

The way I see it I hate to see anyone suffer and there are constantly people affected by cancer and these other currently dominant diseases such as AIDS etc and for the most part we feel totally helpless to do anything for the victims.

Since we all have computers (some of us several) and most of us believe it is best for their health to remain on and running anyway as well as the fact that a great number also have broadband internet connections it simply makes sense to have this investment doing something that may well help our fellow man and alleviate someones suffering without any inconvenience to us anyway other than perhaps a slight increase in electrical costs for those running multiple machines.

I prefer this type of helping because I have some control and can decide for myself what projects I want to contribute to and I know that my equipment is in fact doing work by the results that get turned in as compared to handing out cash to some cause and never really knowing where the money went and how much got to those in need.

The great design of the client that processes the work units we download is such that it never affects our normal use of our computers anyway so for many of us it becomes almost a matter of set it and forget it which is hard to beat.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Doctors/Scientists/Medical researchers can simulate cures on a computer.

They know how certain substances react with certain diseases.

Those substances are named 'proteins' why, I don't know, but they are.

From past research they can determine how a combination of proteins will react against a certain disease by running a computer simulation.

Only problem is, those calculations take time and are very computer intensive.

So, the formulas are dished out worldwide to computer owners who can 'crunch' these formulas in their own time.

The software provided to 'crunch' is non-invasive and lays down in the path of more important computer activities. You know, the really importamt stuff like online gaming and browsing pRon ;)

Using this method, the bods that are trying to find a cure for nasty things have at their disposal a 'super-computer' in the guise of thousands of PC's worldwide that belong to you and I.

There have been some reported cases of improvements/cures found through crunching, one type of Cancer in particular, though I can't remember which one.

Hopefully, the whole thing does lead to or help to find a cure.

Cancer, HIV/AIDs and all that other crap - depressing.

I crunch as I like to think I'm helping to find a cure.

And also, although this is a personal thing - I don't like 'professional' charity workers shaking a container full of coins at me me and asking for a donation. Oxfam, for instance, may do good work but I hear that something like 80% of funds collected pay staff, they don't go to those who need it.

So, for me, crunching means I can refuse charity donations with a clear conscience as I know my electricity bill reflects my charity contribution.

Or at least I think that's what it's all about :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm a smoker , I love sex , I'm going to travel to countries where maleria is rife . :D

Ask a Question