Crunching machines.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
My neighbor works in IT for a large firm in the city. Last week I asked him what they do with their old computers. He responded that they remove hard drives and pretty much chuck every thing in the skip, monitors and all.
So me half heartedly / sarcastically asked if instead of chucking them if he would donate them to a good cause. He said sure, what cause. So I explained WCG to him and this morning one of his lads dropped off 2 Dell Optiplex 755's round my place with monitors, keyboards etc.
So just scratched through my box of tricks and found 2 drives. Busy installing updates for Window 7 on one of the machines and extracting data from another drive to get ready to set up the other machine.
Then they shall be put to crunching :D
He says he has more if I want. But first gotta see how these affect the old electric consumption :fool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow Evan! That was excellent thinking on your part, to mention the WCG as a good cause, which it is. Also very generous of the neighbour and his firm to be willing to contribute their old computers.

I'm guessing quite a lot more companies would do this, if they were more aware of the WCG and crunching.

Nice one :nod: :thumb:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'm guessing quite a lot more companies would do this, if they were more aware of the WCG and crunching.

At times I feel sad that people just chuck things now days without thinking. Often I go out to a tip in Staynes and see loads of PC's that have been off loaded by companies, but by the time I get to them the weather has already got to them first.
I have a few friends that I have got into crunching, and have told them to join PCR and join the PCR crunching team.
But they just say it's ok they will ask me for help rather than join a forum :(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes Evan, society has become very throw-away these days. There was a time when electrical items would be repaired when anything went wrong with them, whereas they're more likely to be replaced now.

I too, have mentioned crunching to friends and acquaintences in the hope of inspiring their interest. Sadly though, I think some feel a bit nervous of it.... which is a shame. Or that crunching is something that "other people" do. :rolleyes:

Each to his/her own, of course. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Just got another freebie from same friend.
Acer Travelmate 5520.

Going to use this one to learn more about Linux.

Ask a Question