Create an outgoing-only mail account


R

rowan.bradley

How can I create an Internet mail account with an SMTP server for
outgoing messages, but no POP3 or IMAP server for incoming messages?
Outlook doesn't seem to allow me to leave this field blank.

I need this because I want my outgoing mesages to appear by default to
come from a different e-mail address than my incoming messages arrive
to. My incoming mail arrives via my old company Exchange Server, and I
can't change its account details. I can send my messages via a
different account using an external SMTP server that's part of my
private mail account, and specify whatever From address I want, but
then I receive all my private email via this new account. I don't want
to receive any mail at all via this account...

I'm using Outlook 2003 on one client, and Outlook 2007 on another -
both running Vista.

Thanks - Rowan
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gordon

rowan.bradley said:
How can I create an Internet mail account with an SMTP server for
outgoing messages, but no POP3 or IMAP server for incoming messages?
Outlook doesn't seem to allow me to leave this field blank.

I need this because I want my outgoing mesages to appear by default to
come from a different e-mail address than my incoming messages arrive
to. My incoming mail arrives via my old company Exchange Server, and I
can't change its account details. I can send my messages via a
different account using an external SMTP server that's part of my
private mail account, and specify whatever From address I want, but
then I receive all my private email via this new account. I don't want
to receive any mail at all via this account...

I'm using Outlook 2003 on one client, and Outlook 2007 on another -
both running Vista.

Thanks - Rowan

In Tools-Send/Receive-Send/Receive settings-Define Send/Receive Groups you
can set individual email accounts to send only.
 
R

rowan.bradley

'Gordon[_4_ said:
;278189']-In Tools-Send/Receive-Send/Receive settings-Define
Send/Receive Groups you
can set individual email accounts to send only.-Thanks for your reply. I hadn't spotted this set of options. However, I
don't see how to set the group to send only. I can see a checkbox for
"include this group in send/receive". Presumably if I uncheck this it
will never automatically send or receive anything for this group. And I
can see a check box for each account in the group for "send mail items".
So I could uncheck this and it would not *send* for this account. There
is no check box for "receive". So I can see how to make it receive but
not send, but I can't see how to make it send but not receive (which is
what I need).

What am I missing?

Thanks - Rowan
 
G

Gordon

rowan.bradley said:
'Gordon[_4_ said:
;278189']-In Tools-Send/Receive-Send/Receive settings-Define
Send/Receive Groups you
can set individual email accounts to send only.-Thanks for your reply. I
hadn't spotted this set of options. However, I
don't see how to set the group to send only. I can see a checkbox for
"include this group in send/receive". Presumably if I uncheck this it
will never automatically send or receive anything for this group. And I
can see a check box for each account in the group for "send mail items".
So I could uncheck this and it would not *send* for this account. There
is no check box for "receive". So I can see how to make it receive but
not send, but I can't see how to make it send but not receive (which is
what I need).

What am I missing?

Edit the group. Then highlight the specific email account and you have two
check boxes - one for receive and one for send. Uncheck the one you don't
want..
 
R

rowan.bradley

'Gordon[_4_ said:
;278336']Edit the group. Then highlight the specific email account and
you have two check boxes - one for receive and one for send. Uncheck
the one you don't want..
Thanks for this. The problem was that I had the mail account in
question set up as an IMAP account, which gives a whole different set
of options not including a checkbox for "receive mail". When I deleted
this account and set up another one using POP3, it worked as you
describe.

Thanks again for your help...

Rowan
 
G

Gordon

rowan.bradley said:
'Gordon[_4_ said:
;278336']Edit the group. Then highlight the specific email account and
you have two check boxes - one for receive and one for send. Uncheck
the one you don't want..
Thanks for this. The problem was that I had the mail account in
question set up as an IMAP account, which gives a whole different set
of options not including a checkbox for "receive mail". When I deleted
this account and set up another one using POP3, it worked as you
describe.

Thanks again for your help...

Rowan

YW!
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top