Create a full PC for ICE?

Reaction score
I'm interested in modding cars now... I know.. you should drive them as they come, yea yea!

But I was thinking, I know you can run a laptop from a battery (obviously!) but is it possible to create an inverter to run a full PC from its own car battery?

I just think it would look really cool to have a modded case in your boot, and a flat touch screen monitor bolted to the ceiling above the drivers seat... hmmm....

any suggestions?:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You mean like this...

Attachments

• ic010698.gif
    ic010698.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 544

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup - you can get invertors that fit in to the lighter socket and will power an EPIA Board (see http://www.via.com) or a Laptop no problem.

As it happens, I'm working on modding a laptop at the moment, its got a great screen and touchpad and pretty zippy, just no keyboard :D

Reaction score
Kinda like that, but I want it flat against the ceiling above the DRIVER. Thats where I got my idea from though. you can get them for the back of the headrests too!

Whats an EPIA board when its at home?

Reaction score
First step complete!

Well, I have the first step complete!

I just bought (for £100!!)
a K-Reg 1.4 Ford Fiesta with alloy wheels, central locking, electric windows and a sunroof!
How jammy am I lol!

So... just for the computer now then... hmmm...

Reaction score
beware how much stuff you connect to the car as you may end up with flat batteries!

Reaction score
yea, I have a new car now, slightly older but with its benefits, a J-Reg 1.6S Ford Fiesta. I have a full sound system in it, with an ammeter to monitor how much it is charging. Think I need an uprated alternator soon though :s

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you still planning to mod it in?

Reaction score
You should not realy need to uprate the alternator unless you always do short journies.

Also, to connect a pc, you do nto really need to boost the 12v to mains and you can just put the 12v directly onto the mobo and use a small DC-DC converter to get the 5v and 3v3. I'm sure there will be things out there that would do it for you, if nto , it is easly enough to make up yourself.

Ask a Question