Crash!

KenK

My main system crashed. Freezes after booting. HD runs constantly. Any
hints before I replace it?

Running on old backup system. Firefox is at v 3. How do I force an upgrade?

TIA

Ken

Buffalo

"KenK" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
My main system crashed. Freezes after booting. HD runs constantly. Any
hints before I replace it?

Running on old backup system. Firefox is at v 3. How do I force an upgrade?

TIA

Ken

Perhaps you could put that hdd in your backup system (as a Slave) and try to
fix it there, of at least try to copy anything valuable off it while it is
in your backup system.
Have you tried system restore or tried 'last known configuration' yet?
If you research more, you will find out how to boot up with either a XP CD
or perhaps a Linux based CD to help you solve your problem.
Perhaps your cpu fan failed, or something similar.

Ken Springer

Running on old backup system. Firefox is at v 3. How do I force an upgrade?

Firefox is now at v. 3.

I've not used 3 in so long... Look for the About Firefox menu entry,
under Help in Windows I think, see if there's an update button there.
There may be some update settings in your settings that might give you
some problem. Or you could go to the Mozilla Firefox page, and download
the latest version and install.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.3
Firefox 19.0.2
Thunderbird 17.0.5
LibreOffice 4.0.1.2

KenK

Or you could go to the Mozilla Firefox page, and download
the latest version and install.

Done! Thanks. Now to try to get the crashed system going. No longer boots,
just runs HD. Going to try a C HD from a cast-off W95 system.

If I need one dunno where I'll find a new IDE drive.

KenK

"KenK" wrote in message

Perhaps you could put that hdd in your backup system (as a Slave) and
try to fix it there, of at least try to copy anything valuable off it
while it is in your backup system.
Have you tried system restore or tried 'last known configuration' yet?
If you research more, you will find out how to boot up with either a
XP CD or perhaps a Linux based CD to help you solve your problem.
Perhaps your cpu fan failed, or something similar.

No longer boots - just sits and runs HD so can't try much.

Thinking about your suggestions. Going to try the C hd from a cast-off W95
system. Might give me a clue. If it boots need a HD probably. Then where to
find an IDE? <sigh>

Ken Springer

Done! Thanks. Now to try to get the crashed system going. No longer boots,
just runs HD. Going to try a C HD from a cast-off W95 system.

If I need one dunno where I'll find a new IDE drive.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...4294945772+4294943164&ekw=ide_hard_drive&rd=1

http://www.microcenter.com/search/s...4294945772+4294943164&ekw=ide_hard_drive&rd=1

Walmart even has them, although their search engine is basically
worthless/useless.

:)

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.3
Firefox 19.0.2
Thunderbird 17.0.5
LibreOffice 4.0.1.2

KenK

Done! Thanks. Now to try to get the crashed system going. No longer
boots, just runs HD. Going to try a C HD from a cast-off W95 system.

If I need one dunno where I'll find a new IDE drive.

May possibly not need it. After successful experiments with old retired
W95 (16 hours), Linux & DIOS C drives I put the old original drive back
in. IT WORKS! It's been idling for several hours now. Before it would
only run a few minutes, then eventually not boot at all. Corrosion on
drive data or power connector? I'll let it run all day and night and see
what happens. Wish me luck! I hate running on this ancient Compaq backup
system.

TIA

Ken Blake, MVP

One more item that might need checking --- how old is the CMOS
battery? If the computer passes POST but fails to boot into the
Windows XP startup screens, it would be the first thing to check.

I agree with most of what you say, except that the age of the battery
isn't the important thing. The important thing is whether it is
working, and its age is not necessarily indicative of that. Some
batteries last much longer than others, and besides, you never know
how old it is when you first get it.

Twayne

In
KenK said:
My main system crashed. Freezes after booting. HD runs
constantly. Any hints before I replace it?

Running on old backup system. Firefox is at v 3. How do I
force an upgrade?

TIA

Ken

Just download the latest version.