Windows XP cpu runs at 100% when using IE or FF

Reaction score
hi guys,

i've recently come across a problem with my cpu. it just seems to run at 100% when i'm using either IE or FF but whenever you minimise the windows it runs at about 4-10%. just looking at it now, FF is at 97-99% and when it's minimised it says the cpu "system idle process" is running at 97% which i've never noticed running that high before.

what i've done so far:

1. check for disk space - i have plenty of that
2. run disk cleanup - deleted temp files in IE
3. run defrag - said it didnt need defragging?
4. turned off system restore and rebooted in safe mode to run virus scan - nothing came up

any suggestions?

thanks for all your help

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't worry about the "system idle process" - that is basically how much spare CPU power you have (100% - used processing power).

Have you installed any IE/FF plugins recently?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps ... but I used to find that my cpu usage would shoot up to 100% when using FF too, mainly when multiple tabs were in use. It doesn't happen now though, and the only thing that has changed here, is that I've switched from using a laptop with fairly low spec (500 Mb RAM, etc.,) to a desktop which has more "oomph" (2 Gb). :)

Reaction score
haven't tried checking for spyware - what's the best program to use for checking that?

taffycat - this happens when only one tab is open

ian - no IE or FF plugins installed recently, i have google toolbar though but i've has that running for a long time without any probs

Ask a Question