CPU fan only?

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Is there any place where you can buy a CPU fan on it's own, i.e. without the heatsink? I have a perfectly good heatsink here, but the PC's owner has somehow broken the fan blades off...

I've tried Ebuyer, Aria, Maplin (I thought they would be a sure bet), and PC World.

Before anyone suggests, I don't want to stick a case fan on it, I know that would work but at best it's a bodge and the temps won't be clever.

Any ideas anyone?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Fans that are primarily used for cases are used all the time on CPU coolers without any issues, temps are often far better and they certainly aren't a bodge.

As TD says we need to know what size fan you are after (measure across one side of the fan holder in mm] - also what CPU make/model is this for? - are we talking here about one of the older stock AMD or Intel CPU coolers where the fan is secured by clipping the housing on the top of the cooler often via plastic retention pins?

Something like this perhaps?

amd09.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Case fans/cooler fans.

A fan is a fan is a fan.

All fans will have different characteristics and it's often a case of finding a compromise between cooling and noise.

What size is it? Measure the thing diagonally (diameter). Or, indeed, along one straight edge as mentioned, same thing.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Diagonally it measures 98mm, along one side it's 70mm.

I didn't realise all fans were the same - I was told aaaaages ago that a case fan has nowhere near the same throughput as a cpu fan,

It's a not-that-old stock Intel 478 cooler, around 2002/2003 perhaps? Actually, I suppose that is old now...

I did try Maplin, but was looking for a fan specifically marked "CPU fan", I didn't realise that using a case fan was acceptable!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ok, so you need a 70mm fan - they are not that common these days, but there is one HERE over at Scan for £4.69 + pp - its £7.04 + pp at OCUK HERE but you might find that when you calculate the postage it works out cheaper.

Or how about a nice new Socket 478 CPU cooler including the fan? .......£5.75 + pp at Scan HERE.

Edit: Found a Cooler Master Socket 478 CPU cooler on Super Special over at Aria HERE at £3.47 + pp with an all copper base and a whizzy fan.......bargain :thumb:

Ask a Question