Windows XP copy all items to audio cd - missing

Reaction score
in the windows task panel for 'Music Tasks' - i suddenly seem to be missing the "copy all items to audio CD". Of course I am in a music folder and there are mp3's listed in the right hand window.

This problem has suddenly arisen and I don't know where from. Its actually on my uncle's computer (he's 75) and I'm trying to sort it for him. I'm not a novice user but have never heard of this problem before.

He's using Win XP service pack 2 on a 6 month old computer. All other apps are working fine.

Any suggestions?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, I don't have that either in any folder that contains mp3s ... if I look in an album folder, no mp3s, than I can see "copy all items to audio CD" ... :)

If you want to 'burn' an mp3 to a CD, I just use right-click ... any help?

user.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well I'll be a ...

Single click on any song ... does it now appear?

... did for me. :D

Reaction score
no luck

nope - I tried that. Its just not there at all. (On my uncle's computer) BUT IT WAS A FEW WEEKS AGO - and thats what is confusing

On mine its there all the time.

Any other ideas?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Any other ideas?
Sorry, I haven't ... to be honest, I never knew it was there :blush: I only tend to put music on my PC to listen to as and how I want ... I use it as my stereo ;)

Some of the others may be able to help, I'll try MS and see if they have anything on it.

:)

Reaction score
thanks anyway. Its just so frustrating. One day its there - the next its not and he just about learned how to use it to make cd's. He can't handle nero at all!!!!

Here's hoping someone else has the answer

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
so this you've done?

opened up the cd drive window, copied a load of mp3's into it and theres no 'copy to CD' option ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
LoL, that's MS for you ...

Julie1962 said:
thanks anyway. Its just so frustrating. One day its there - the next its not and he just about learned how to use it to make cd's. He can't handle nero at all!!!!

Here's hoping someone else has the answer
Well have you tried it the other way ... using WMP?

I have WMP 11, Beta, and you cannot miss the 'burn' button ... drag, drop, press button. :D

Reaction score
misunderstanding

thanks to your replies but - yes WMP does work but my uncle is not good at drag and drop.

As to the other user - we're trying to make an Audio CD. Using your method would create and MP3 disc.

What we are doing is opening up a folder of mp3's - on my computer there is an option in the Music Tasks Pane "copy all items to audio cd" - after selecting the mp3's and then selecting this option WMP opens up and you just hit burn to make the audio cd.

On my uncle's computer this option has disappeared. He's very old and had just mastered this simple procedure. He can't handle drag and drop very well as the other user suggested but that of course works fine.

Any suggestions greatfully received. Can't think where this option has gone!!!!!!!!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, I get the picture ... I still have no answer as to why the "copy all items to audio CD" and I can see you are not new to PCs

Have you thought about using "sticky keys" to drag-n-drop ... just a suggestion that may help.

Just check for me that you do have "enable CD recording for this drive" for that particular drive ... yes, I'm clutching at straws. ;)

Reaction score
How do I do that?

Thanks Muckshifter. How do I check to see if 'enable ....... for the cd drive is switched on.

I've been to device manager - right clicked the drive, properties, etc but couldn't find that bit. I'm not new to computers but I haven't done this before. Please clarify - this could be it.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Julie1962 said:
Thanks Muckshifter. How do I check to see if 'enable ....... for the cd drive is switched on.

I've been to device manager - right clicked the drive, properties, etc but couldn't find that bit. I'm not new to computers but I haven't done this before. Please clarify - this could be it.
Sure ...

I find the easiest way is to ... double-click My Computer, right click on your CDRW or DVDRW and then click Properties there you will see a tab labled Recording click that and see if the Enable CD recording check-box is ticked.

:)

Reaction score
Aha !!!!!

You have hit the nail on the head. The 'recording' tab is not there.

What now. I know for sure that this drive has worked previously. Maybe someone has 'fiddled' - but he assures me not. His grandson uses the computer also. So what to do now the tab is not there? I'm anxious to solve this but its 11pm my time. If you can reply within the next 15 mins I'll immediately reply with the results.

Ta.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Julie1962 said:
You have hit the nail on the head. The 'recording' tab is not there.

What now. I know for sure that this drive has worked previously. Maybe someone has 'fiddled' - but he assures me not. His grandson uses the computer also. So what to do now the tab is not there? I'm anxious to solve this but its 11pm my time. If you can reply within the next 15 mins I'll immediately reply with the results.

Ta.
oh great, never rains but it .....

Just asking but, this is a re-writer you clicked on and not a CDRom drive.

OK, we try this then ...
go to device manager open the little + key and single click on the drive ... a tab should appear at the top with an option to un-install, click it and uninstall the drive ... reboot and XP will re-install the drive and try again to see if the tab is there.

Best I can suggest at the moment. :)

by the way, you are two hours ahead of me :D

Reaction score
Ta

Thanks, yes my uncle is in UK and I'm doing all this by remote login but we are getting there.

I'll try that option tomorrow and get back to you here.

Thanks so much.

Reaction score
OK - latest ..... Now we have uninstalled the CD rom as instructed. XP reinstalled it and it came up as a HL-DT ST RW/DVD 4481B There was still no 'recording tab' in the properties though. We even did a system restore and still the same!!!

Any other suggestions?

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, not a very good drive, usually fitted in HPs & Comcraps ... ;)

OK, fast running out of ideas here ... the drive is a CDRW and will only read DVDs, we call them Combi drives.

Have you been able to write anything to the drive? ... you haven't bought DVD writable CDs instead of ordinary writable CDs ?

InCD packet writing software has not been installed, no?

If it fails to write anything, then I would be in contact with the supplier for a replacement drive ... I'd actually just go and buy something decent. It'll still be under £30.

Sorry Julie, but I'm out of any real idea of what else it could be ... there are no 'drivers' as such as XP has its own generic drivers for ATAPI, which is what this basically is, so you can't go and get updated drivers.

The only thing I can see is XP does not think it is a CDRW or the drive is failing/failed

:confused:

Reaction score
I agree with you completely. I have been trying all afternoon with the dam thing. I told my uncle to take it to a shop to see.

It is a combi drive and he only has cd-r's. In packet cd writing not installed. I'm sure you are right - its broken. thanks for all your help - i thought i was going bonkers!!!!!!

I'll post back with the results of the computer guy later.

Ask a Question