content advisor

Paul

She forgot the password. How can I either find it or de-activate content
advisor?

tks,
paul

Evolution54

Paul said:
She forgot the password. How can I either find it or de-activate
content
advisor?

tks,
paul

The following steps will remove any password set in the Internet
Explorer Content Advisor and allow you to reset the program to its
original state.

1) Click on Start and choose Run.

2) Type in RegEdit and select OK.

3) Now click on the little plus sign to the left of
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4) Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the left
of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version
and Policies.

5) Now click on the Ratings folder.

6) In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called
Key. Click on it and press Delete.

7) Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit. You've just
deleted your original Content Advisor password.

8) Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.

9) Choose View and then Internet Options (or Options for version 3.x).
For IE 5 or greater, Click on Tools, Internet Options.

10) Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a
password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable
Content Advisor because there's no longer a password.

Paul

thanks that did it. Except that #10. I did as instructed and it says "you
cannot have a blank password". However now I can read all sites.

So, when I tried to access office updates it says "your current security
setting prohibits running active x controls...", then "active x failed to
load"

It has a list of things to try, which do not work. I checked the security
settings and signed active x are set to run and unsigned are set to prompt
for permission.

Also, since above, Norton av hangs when trying to download updated defs. So,
I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it. And during install it says "error
1920 service defwatch failed to start,. verify that you have sufficient
privileges...." Norton help for 1920 did not help. I am logged on as Adm.

What now?

Paul

Evolution54

"Evolution54" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Paul Wrote:-
[...]

Glad the initial problem got solved. However, my knowledge is not to
great with Norton. However, I googled it and this could probably help
you:
http://tinyurl.com/ywf62

For the activeX problem, try this website. I'm not sure if your have
already gone through those steps yet but if you did, let me know.
http://tinyurl.com/84whh

If all else fails, we can do a system restore and bring it back to how
it was before. Lets hope someone else can provide more help.

Paul

That's that norton site I already tried. And the ms site gave similar help
on the active x. All of which did nothing.

oops, I forgot to say that I did a system restore hopeing that it would
reset the content advisor password, which it did not.

Evolution54

--
Evolution54--

Glad the initial problem got solved. However, my knowledge is not to
great with Norton. However, I googled it and this could probably help
you:
http://tinyurl.com/ywf62

For the activeX problem, try this website. I'm not sure if your have
already gone through those steps yet but if you did, let me know.
http://tinyurl.com/84whh

If all else fails, we can do a system restore and bring it back to
how
it was before. Lets hope someone else can provide more help.

What version is your Norton? Did you own a legal copy of it or did you
download it off the Internet? Need to be sure because the problem might
be with the registry keys still in place because of problems during the
uninstall.

Paul

norton av 2005, ligit