Considering upgrade - comments welcome

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In November my primary computer will be 4 years old.

I still think it's good but this is the longest I've ever kept a system and I must confess I'm getting the upgrade itch.

I have to consider finances so have decided on a partial upgrade, keeping my current graphics card and primary hard drive of two 150Gb Velicoraptors in a RAID 0.

I figure I can add a better graphics card and SSD primary drive at a later date, when funds permit.

After a little research these are the parts I selected, I would really welcome any comments. Not top of the range but in my opinion none too shabby either.

attachment.php

I thought the motherboard was good value with an X58 chipset and USB3 support.

I notice the board has no PATA/IDE ports and no floppy disk drive port.

No IDE is no problem as my optical drives are SATA but I'm a little worried about not having a floppy drive as I'm wondering whether Win 7 will want the RAID drivers loaded from a floppy disk.

That is the only thing I keep a floppy drive for, I don't really need one.

I'm guessing Win 7 will actually see the RAID setup on an i7 board without needing drivers - your views? Or will Win 7 allow RAID drivers to be loaded from a CD or USB stick?

This is my only real worry as I really do want a RAID 0 setup for speed in the absence of an SSD drive.

One of the reasons I was attracted to this motherboard was the fact it supports both sli and Xfire. This means for a quick and cheap graphics upgrade I could add another Nvidia 9800GTX (if I can find one for sale, that is) but whatever, I rather like the idea of being able to choose between a pair of ATI or Nvidia cards.

SSD drive prices are falling steadily, I figure within, say, a year, I could add a reasonably sized SSD drive for the primary disk at a reasonable price. I don't think I'd go for RAID with an SSD drive, I've been doing some reading and the increase in performance seems negligible.

Anyow, would apreciate comments on the parts I've selected, if a contract comes off I've priced up then upgrade will probably take place November-ish.

Attachments

• i7.JPG
    i7.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 292

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Looks like a fine machine, but im wondering if a i5 CPU would suit you better?
Also Im sure you can find cheaper Memory than that? Unless your building a speed machine.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the lack of floppy drive for raid drivers (if you need them), as in the Windows 7 installation you can load the drivers from other media. It prompts you if it needs extra drivers by saying "If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now" :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
Looks like a fine machine, but im wondering if a i5 CPU would suit you better?
Also Im sure you can find cheaper Memory than that? Unless your building a speed machine.

Thanks for the advice Alf but I figure if I'm going to upgrade, may as well be full tilt - no half measures ;)

Then hopefully it will last another 4 years.

I've specced the fastest DDR3 memory, the board supports it, but when it comes to actual purchase I will shop around. Kingston memory was cheaper, incidentally, for same spec, and I haven't looked at other suppliers yet but generally they're all much a muchness.

Ian Cunningham said:
I wouldn't worry about the lack of floppy drive for raid drivers (if you need them), as in the Windows 7 installation you can load the drivers from other media. It prompts you if it needs extra drivers by saying "If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now" :)

Thanks Ian, that's what I needed to know :thumb: so I'll dispense with the floppy drive when it comes to build time.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I Want One

Intel ain't "supporting" USB 3.0 untill around 2011, AMD have a simular stance ... and software, no drivers in Win7, maybe in Win7 SP1, although I suspect the MB CD will have something you can use. :lol:

A simular situation exists in implimenting the new Firewire 3, but I wouldn't worry about that Mac stuff. :D

don't forget the new USB cables too

I'm sure them "new" MBs have some old USB2 High-Speed ports one can use for the time being. :thumb:

Looks good for the future though. ;)

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Looks good flops. :)

Have you considered this kind of thing?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-029-OB&groupid=43&catid=339&subcat=

Worth thinking about?

I would, but they don't offer the Noctua cooler as an option.

And anyway, they specify a 2.8Ghz CPU whereas I specced a 3.06Ghz CPU so taking that into consideration it seems there aren't any real savings to be made by OCUK making my choices for me.

I'll probably buy from Scan, anyway, if they stock the parts, as I get free postage from them.

I don't get free postage from OCUK and I know you can get it by joining their forum and having a posting frenzy but I hear tell they're a bunch of Nazis running the OCUK forum and one comment just the tiniest bit critical of them can get you banned. So the hell with that, as they say :)

I did read of one fella having problems with the board I specified, inasmuch as the SATA ports on the Marvel chip wouldn't recognise his hard disks. Something I'll have to look into.

The alternative, of course, is a Gigabyte board but for that price no Gigabyte board offers dual sli & X-Fire.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You have your heart set on the Noctua then? That Akasa is a V good option also.

Fair point bout the clock speeds, but bare in mind the one i linked to does come shipped running and tested @ 4Ghz.

OcUK's forums aint that bad, i'm a regular over there too. The Mods aint like that. Yes they have strict rules on your sigs but the Mods aren't what i'd call Nazis.

It also works on being a member for over 90 days.

Isn't one of the benefits of X58 is that is supports both SLI & Crossfire.

That supports both and is about a fiver cheaper.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-235-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1692

...Just my opinions. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
You have your heart set on the Noctua then? That Akasa is a V good option also.

Fair point bout the clock speeds, but bare in mind the one i linked to does come shipped running and tested @ 4Ghz.

OcUK's forums aint that bad, i'm a regular over there too. The Mods aint like that. Yes they have strict rules on your sigs but the Mods aren't what i'd call Nazis.

It also works on being a member for over 90 days.

Isn't one of the benefits of X58 is that is supports both SLI & Crossfire.

That supports both and is about a fiver cheaper.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-235-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1692

...Just my opinions. :)

Hey V_R, thanks for the input, I must confess I've only been taking a passing interest in the latest computer developments as I haven't had the urge to upgrade for quite some time.

So do all X58 chipsets have dual support for sli & X-fire?

I looked at that Gigabyte board, that would have been my second choice but I must confess I didn't notice it had the sli/X-fire support thingie - doh

In light of the problem with the Marvel chipset perhaps not recognising some hard disks on the Asus board, I think the Gigabyte board would now be my first choice. Although only one guy as far as I know has reported that problem.

I am open to all suggestions and components as - as I mentioned - I haven't done my homework so much lately. I know you have a Noctua cooler and are pleased with it and the Noctua I have with the twin 120mm fans has been the best cooler I've ever used and I've tried a fair few in me time. It is both the quietest and the most efficient ever for me.

I did notice the 2.8 CPU came in overclocked at 4Ghz, must confess that was tempting.

Still, plenty of time yet, I'm just fishing for the moment but it seems I'm on the right track anyway.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Intel ain't "supporting" USB 3.0 untill around 2011, AMD have a simular stance ... and software, no drivers in Win7, maybe in Win7 SP1, although I suspect the MB CD will have something you can use. :lol:

A simular situation exists in implimenting the new Firewire 3, but I wouldn't worry about that Mac stuff. :D

don't forget the new USB cables too

I'm sure them "new" MBs have some old USB2 High-Speed ports one can use for the time being. :thumb:

Looks good for the future though. ;)

:wave:

My last system has lasted for 4 years and with some luck maybe my next will as well so I think it would be prudent to go for a board with the latest technology even if it isn't actually usable right now.

The only thing I've ever seen firewire used for is camcorders and I've never yet used a firewire port so that doesn't bother me.

I have seven USB devices on my main machine, the Gigabyte board I favour has ten USB2 ports and two USB 3 ports.

The new USB standard uses different leads eh? I never knew that, thanks.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
So do all X58 chipsets have dual support for sli & X-fire?
If i remember correctly yes, but thats not to say the board itself will. the cheaper ones may not have the PCIU-E slots. But at the budget your looking at i'd be surprised if they didn't. :)

I looked at that Gigabyte board, that would have been my second choice but I must confess I didn't notice it had the sli/X-fire support thingie - doh

In light of the problem with the Marvel chipset perhaps not recognising some hard disks on the Asus board, I think the Gigabyte board would now be my first choice. Although only one guy as far as I know has reported that problem.
Well if it help you make up your mind, my GB board has been rock solid all the time i've had it, and its been running 4Ghz since day one.

I am open to all suggestions and components as - as I mentioned - I haven't done my homework so much lately. I know you have a Noctua cooler and are pleased with it and the Noctua I have with the twin 120mm fans has been the best cooler I've ever used and I've tried a fair few in me time. It is both the quietest and the most efficient ever for me.
Yep this cooler is very good, But one of the Noctua fans has developed a rattle, like maybe a baring is going or something. Its damn annoying sometimes.... :(

There is also some other very good HSF's out there now from the likes of Akasa, Prolimatech.

Heres a few that i'd happily use after reading some very good reviews...

Akasa Venom
Titan Fenrir Evo
Prolimatech Megalalems
Prolimatech Super Mega
and if you like that sort of this there's the Corsair H50-1 (Which i'm still tempted by... Or maybe the H70)

I did notice the 2.8 CPU came in overclocked at 4Ghz, must confess that was tempting.
It is very tempting isn't it. :D
I still haven't dropped my clocks back to stock to get an idea of the gain from a 4Gha OC, but i'd imagine its a fair amount, after all its is a >40% gain.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the input V_R, a few heatsinks to consider there.

The Noctua 120mm medium speed fan I had in the side of my Antec 900 case packed up on me after 21 months as well, makes me wonder a bit. Must confess to being somewhat disappointed considering the price of them.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, yeah as they seem to be rated very highly i am also suprised about it...

The Akasa Viper fans (bright yellow ones) are very good by all accounts, but need to be connected to a PWM header or the run at full chat, which is a little loud for some.

Truth is i'm tempted to get a couple for the cooler as see how they go.

Also just noticed your pic is for the D14, the big guy, I've got the NH-U12P slightly smaller than that one. :)

Hmmm, looking around, i quite like the look of the H70, it seems to be what the H50 should have been.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-003-CS&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

I wouldn't mind one of them to replace my current Noctua.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You may find some very interesting reading on cpu coolers here your Noctua gets a mention so it is very relevant for you.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=432&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=19

Here is an interesting piece of information from the same site.

"Because of the slightly spread-out core placement on a Core 2 Quad or Duo processor, most 6mm triple heat-piped HDT cooler would make directly-aligned contact with the cores through the IHS. However, when it comes to the Core i7 series the processor cores line-up better with four-piped HDT coolers (or at the outer edge of the center heat-pipe in the three-piped HDT cooler). Conversely, coolers with a solid base are not effected by either platform, so long as they're big enough to saturate the contact surface. Making matters a little more complicated is the orientation of the Core i7 processor series, which is restricted to comply with the Intel-designed horizontally-aligned rectangle shape (not square like LGA775 processors). The 32mm tall by 35mm wide Core i7 processor is more sensitive to how a cooler is mounted to it, and care must be take to ensure the IHS is fully covered by the heatsink."

user.gif

Ask a Question