connecting to exchange 2000 server using outlook 2003 over AOL

G

I now this is going to sound like a silly question but does anyone know of a problem connecting using outlook to connect to an exchange server when dialed in through AOL.

I am supporting an office that has two dozen remote users using either outlook or outlook express (various versions of each) connecting to an Exchange 2000 server. The remote users also connect to a terminal server using the remote desktop client. All but two of the users work perfectly.

The two that do not are both using AOL. I have managed to get on chat with an AOL representative and, surprise surprise, they say that it is either my settings are wrong or it is a microsoft issue and they can't help.

When I set up outlook and test the settings it finds the outgoing mail server and says it successfully sent a test message but it fails trying to find the pop3 server, which is the same serve

They sent me instructions on how to connect to their IMAP server using outlook but I have not had an opportunity to test that yet. And at the moment the firewall we are behind blocks the IMAP protoco

My belief is that there is some level of packet filtering going on by AOL and that the POP3 and RDP ports are being blocke
hence the successfull test of the SMTP server but the failure of the Pop3 server. I am going to test that by opening the IMAP port and seing if they can connect over that instead of POP3

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanc

Ask a Question