Windows XP Computer Restarting over and over again...

Reaction score
A while back my antivirus software ran out, but since I was not using the desktop computer, I didn't renew it. When I got on a few days ago, I stupidly opened a strange looking exe file without thinking. Nothin happened at first, but in the next two days, my computer started being strange. The main thing is that LimeWire, which was installed on the computer by my husband, began opening by itself. I would exit, and it would just restart itself. After two days of this, I uninstalled the program completely, but then I just kept getting a message every two minutes saying that the computer could not find LimeWire to start.

I thought that I perhaps had a virus, so I bought and downloaded Norton Antivirus. Each time I tried to install it, though, the computer would freeze, and I'd have to shut down using the power button. Eventually after hours of this, I was able to get it installed and started a full system scan.

SEVERAL viruses, trojan horses, spyware, adware, etc were found, all of them in the category HIGH RISK. While the system scan was still going on, it kept telling me I'd need to restart in order to properly remove the viruses. Usually I would wait until the scan is completely done before restarting so I don't have to keep doing it over and over, however the scan stopped for nearly an hour on the same file, so I eventually hit restart.

The computer would start to boot up and the windows logo would flash up, saying, "Loading Settings," but then it would immediately restart again. This went on for hours, and I've tried everything. I've unplugged and tried new power cord. I've dusted out the inside of the computer. I've made sure the fan is working. When it boots, I've tried hitting F8 to get a Safe Mode boot, but F8 does nothing. This also lets out doing a "Last Good configuration" option.

The only two things that work are F10 (which does nothing but give me a choice of two similar things) or Del, which brings up CMOS, BIOS, etc options. With BIOS, I could load from a CD, however I have no reboot CD, as I bought my computer from a grocery store, and it came with very little.

For the record, it is a Philips Computer, running Windows XP Home Edition. I don't know how to access any other info.

Short of taking it to a shop, what can I do to fix it??

Help is VERY appreciated.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Definitly sounds like you have a nasty . You could buy this and try to repair the os . Or if that fails then you could use it to do a fresh install . You will need the COA number of the side of your pc case to keep it running for longer than 30 days .

http://uk.nine.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=1203676699-12199-0&mo=auction

happywave.gif

Ask a Question