computer dials up shared internet server for no reason

bell-lady

I asked the QuickBooks group about this, but got only one answer, and it didn't fix the problem. Here's the issue, please help if you know about Internet connection sharing.

Computer #1 is the Internet Connection Sharing server (both use his modem to dial up)
Computer #2 (secretary), is running Symantec Client, Quick Books, but no messaging or other common Internet-using software I can see.
AFter trying the QB solution of turning off AutoUpdate, and deleting everything in MSCONFIG startup except Norton stuff, computer #1 still dials up as soon as computer #2 is turned on (not in SAFE mode tho). Even when #2 is doing absolutely nothing. (There are only 2 PCs on the network. Both WinXP.)

Question on the table is: HOW TO STOP PC#2 FROM DIALING UP NETWORK ON PC#1
WHENEVER HE BOOTS UP

1. Per your suggestions I checked QB on PC #2. QuickBooks is not on its
Start Menu at all.

2. It still does try to have the the Internet Connection Server dial the
Internet everytime the PC is turned on, until it succeeds it keeps on
trying.

3. I'm not sure it is QB causing this behavior, but:
a. It doesn't do it in SAFE mode.
b. When I unchecked all Startup items in msconfig on PC#2 it still dials
on boot when not in SAFE mode.
c. PC#2 is an NAV client and depends on server (PC#1) getting updates and
pushing them to him, so it isn't dialing because it wants NAV live update.

4. Here's a better idea of the hardware configuration, obtained after much
crawling, knee banging and cable tinkering

The Secretary PC (#2 PC) is a client to the Boss's (#1 PC) who is the
Internet Connection Server, print server, file server etc. Cabling is really
weird:
Telephone cable on the wall is a 3-hole outlet for phone lines. 2 phone
lines come out, one goes to a fax machine, one goes to the IN port on a
power supply/surge suppressor (big bread box size). A 2-hole splitter comes
out the OUT port of the power supply and it holds 2 phone cables. Each one
goes to a PC modem port.

The also have a 4 port network bridge. Nothing is plugged into UPLINK. Each
PC has a network cable plugged into a downlink port on the bridge.

So, my conclusion (IMHO) is that they are effectively networked together
thru the little bridge box. PC#1 dials up all by himself. But for whatever
reason, PC#2 is configured to have PC#1 do his dialing instead of doing it
himself.

How can I configure PC#2 to just plain ole dial up himself and forget he has
a network as far as connecting to internet is concerned. He still needs to
use the intranet to get to PC#1's shared printer and shared files, so can't
lose it altogether.

*whew*

Hope that clears things up a bit, or my banged up knees went for naught!

TIA,
Ann

Tony

"bell-lady" <barnesa underscore 17201 at yahoo dotcom> wrote in message
[...]

You need to turn off ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on PC#1. IIRC, you
go to start, connect to, show all connections, right click on the dialup
connection, select properties then click on advanced tab and uncheck the box
that says this computer shares its connection......

I writing this from memory which is a bit hazy but it should point you in
the right direction

AJR

It has been long long time since dial-up modem days-however if I remember
correctly there is a setting which reads something like "dial a connection
if none is present.." when checked second computer in ICS configuration
will attempt to dial. - Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Richard in AZ

[...]

What is the status of the antivirus and antispyware programs on PC#2. Does PC#2 need updates?
Per your configuration, if you are using internet connection sharing, PC#2 has to ask PC#1 to do the
dialing for it.
If it need an update, it will initiate the dialing on #1.

PS configure your news group reader to send in plain text, not HTML. Some people have problems
with HTML news.

Gordon

Richard said:
Question on the table is: HOW TO STOP PC#2 FROM DIALING UP NETWORK ON
PC#1 WHENEVER HE BOOTS UP

Have you checked whether the clock is set to synchronize with an Internet
clock? AFAIR that /used/ to be the default setting, causing internet access
on bootup.......