what starts a shared internet connection dialing

bell-lady

When ever a computer (lets call it computer1) is turned on, the internet
connection server (computer2 on the home net) automaticlaly dials up. How
can I find out what process on computer1 is doing the dialing? There are
only 2 computers.

We want to stop it from happening. Have turned off everything in msconfig
startup, and all items in startup folder on computer1, yet computer2 dials
within 60 seconds of it starting up.

thanks.
Ann

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Ann,

Right click My Computer icon, choose Manage/Services and
Applications/Services
In the right pane, select Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and double
click
Use the Startup type drop box and choose Disabled

- - -
Note: Do not stop the "Remote Access connection manager" service
- - -

See also:

Autodial starts each time a resource is not available in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=821979

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"bell-lady" <barnesa underscore 17201 at yahoo dotcom> wrote in message
When ever a computer (lets call it computer1) is turned on, the internet
connection server (computer2 on the home net) automaticlaly dials up. How
can I find out what process on computer1 is doing the dialing? There are
only 2 computers.

We want to stop it from happening. Have turned off everything in msconfig
startup, and all items in startup folder on computer1, yet computer2 dials
within 60 seconds of it starting up.

thanks.
Ann

bell-lady

If I do that, will the printer and shared folders on computer2 still be
accessible to computer1, resources NOT on the internet?

Will computer1 be able to get on the internet when she specifically clicks
on IE or other resource requiring access - live update, etc.?

I only want to stop the automatic dialing...

Thanks, Ramesh.

Ann

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Ann,

1. Will not be affected

2. May affect auto dialing by clients. IIRC, the option "Establish a dial-up
connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the
Internet" requires the Remote access auto connection manager to be enabled.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"bell-lady" <barnesa underscore 17201 at yahoo dotcom> wrote in message
If I do that, will the printer and shared folders on computer2 still be
accessible to computer1, resources NOT on the internet?

Will computer1 be able to get on the internet when she specifically clicks
on IE or other resource requiring access - live update, etc.?

I only want to stop the automatic dialing...

Thanks, Ramesh.

Ann

bell-lady

So, you're asking me to stop that auto connect manager on computer2 (the
internet connection sharing host)?

That's nto an acceptable solution then. It does need to answer when asked to
connect
by a human.

I still need to know the original answer, then...how can I tell what process
that is running on computer1 is asking computer2 to dial up? The user
has done nothing except login, and no startup processes initiated by
msconfig, or
startup folder are running.
It is my goal to stop this process from asking for dialup connection.

Thanks.
Ann

AJR

Check dial-up on the client computer (evidently #10 - dial-up connections
have an option "to dial when network connection is not present" - clear and
check "never dial".

AJR

oops - meant "computer #1

AJR said:
Check dial-up on the client computer (evidently #10 - dial-up connections
have an option "to dial when network connection is not present" - clear
and check "never dial".

bell-lady

Thanks, I'll check that. It is my usual custom to set that as true, I DO
want it to dial when asked to.

But I suppose the question remains, who's asking it to dial up? What program
and process.
I don't THINK that this check box means "dial up just because it isn't
connected", but instead means to "dial up when a connection is required and
it isn't already connected".

If that second phrase is true, question remains, who's requesting that it be
connected, how can I tell?

Does either computer make a log of what process is asking for a connection?
Or is there a log I can turn on to find out?

Would either Windows or Norton autoupdate do this immediately upon coming
up? If so, is there a way to tell it to run autoupdate only when computer #2
is online (a connection already exists?) Don't know if this is what's
dialing, but guess it could be..how to know!? is the question.

Ann