computer crashes - new vid card.

Reaction score
my bro recently got a new video card, the ati x850 pro.
now, when he plays world of warcraft the game just runs normal for a while, but then after 10-20 min, the game just freezes and after that the screen turns black. alt tab doesn't work, it seems as if my hole screen is just messed up..
like someone pud a giant magnet against it.
we have installed all the ati drivers we could find. nothing seems to work, we even tried older drivers.
any help please?
when we just has the new card and played without drivers the game would just freeze after a while and then reboot automaticly..

Last edited:
Reaction score
we have the latest patch for the game. you can't play wow without the latest patches, it's an online game.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Didn't ATI tell you ... they have never made 'drivers' ... they just cobble things together and hope they work. :thumb:

What you discribe is a typical driver problem ... what was the original card? if a nVidia then you'll need a "clean-up" tool to help rid the drivers out ... CCleaner may help

Un-install the drivers, clean-up the leftovers and re-install. ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Sounds more like an overheating problem to me.

I know loads of people who've had problems with the Ati Radeon series overheating. There is a pretty simple fix for this, just buy a new cooler for it. The best out there is made by Artic Cooling and can be found here (5th one down).

I also had simular problem with my Nvidia card, I fitted one of those coolers and it dramatically reduced heat and noise.

There easy to fit, just make sure you use some good cooling paste, the one i always use is called "Artic Silver 5" , I swear by it :). That can be found here (2nd one down).

A few case fans would help to if you havent got any fitted.

Reaction score
#
You knw what. In all the years I have built computers I have never owned a ATI card. In all the computers I have built I have always fitted Nvidia.

Not one single problem at all from any Nvidia card not one!

Why do ATI continually release GFX cards and not give the reliable support with their cards. Unlike Nvidia!

It makes me wonder how/why they are still in business

Reaction score
I had the same problem playing WoW on my 9600xt. When I switched to my sons geforce 4 card, everything was fine. (It's something with ati cards and that game.) I fixed it by setting the card at x4 instead of x8. Try that.

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
#
You knw what. In all the years I have built computers I have never owned a ATI card. In all the computers I have built I have always fitted Nvidia.

Why do ATI continually release GFX cards and not give the reliable support with their cards. Unlike Nvidia!

Should i admit this, but i have only ever had ATI cards:blush:

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
Sounds more like an overheating problem to me.

I know loads of people who've had problems with the Ati Radeon series overheating. There is a pretty simple fix for this, just buy a new cooler for it. The best out there is made by Artic Cooling and can be found here (5th one down).

I also had simular problem with my Nvidia card, I fitted one of those coolers and it dramatically reduced heat and noise.

There easy to fit, just make sure you use some good cooling paste, the one i always use is called "Artic Silver 5" , I swear by it :). That can be found here (2nd one down).

A few case fans would help to if you havent got any fitted.
my computer isen't too hot at all.. it's like 30c. that's not hot.

Reaction score
Henkjan I think Reefsmoka is talking about you GFX card temperature not the CPU or case temp. Altho the case temp can affect yout GPU on your GFX card
If its too hot or failing to cool efficiently

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
#

Since the Riva TNT I've only owned Nvidia cards until just a few weeks ago where I decided to go for an ATI Radeon X1900XT - and touch wood, no problems with that card so far - it's an absolute beast.

Mind you a friend of mine has an X1800 and his card overheats when playing Oblivion with everything maxed out.

Once I get more RAM (It's on order), I'm going to buy F.E.A.R. and I'll be setting that to "full on" in 1680x1050 - I'll let you all know if my card overheats!

Reaction score
ok, problem fixed. my bro went to shop and said: hey this vid card is broke, and they gave him an nvidia that was exact the same price. don't remember it's name, but it seems to run game the same. and this card doesn't crash :)

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like overheating to me. I had to ATI cards overheat because the fan bearing degraded, slowing the fan, which allowed the GPU to heat up.

After you reboot, does it take another 20mins to freeze, or does it happen more quickly?

Reaction score
it just freezed allmost same time everytime. but we got a new card now and the problem is fixed.

Reaction score
What is the size of your power supply? this is the big box that your PC power cord plugs into. With a Graphics card like you have, you need somewhere in the 350W range minimum. If your power supply is only 250W or so, you'll have problems.

Reaction score
Sorry m8 I didnt mean to embarress you

But I dont think Power supply unit needs an explanation here

OMG I just did it myself ;)

Only kiddin
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question