Communities "feechur"

Ronin

According to Pa Bear, I should make sure the Communities feature is
disabled, presumably to prevent problems when using WM and the msnews
servers to read news. After reading the Help entries on the subject, I
replied that I saw nothing in the WM GUI that mentioned Communities, that I
don't appear to have ever subscribed to one (and I'm 99.9% certain that I
never have). His response was to send me here. Is there a way to be 100%
certain that Communities support has been disabled in my system (Vista
Ultimate)? I don't think that was really the issue this time, but there's
always the future.

mac

Ronin said:
According to Pa Bear, I should make sure the Communities feature is
disabled, presumably to prevent problems when using WM and the msnews
servers to read news. After reading the Help entries on the subject, I
replied that I saw nothing in the WM GUI that mentioned Communities, that
I don't appear to have ever subscribed to one (and I'm 99.9% certain that
I never have). His response was to send me here. Is there a way to be 100%
certain that Communities support has been disabled in my system (Vista
Ultimate)? I don't think that was really the issue this time, but there's
always the future.

If Bear sent you here, then go to the tools menu>options>general tab, and
remove the check mark from use newsgroup rating features>apply>OK

Now tell us what your problem is, please include any error messages in your
reply, unedited.

Ronin

Not checked. Is that the final test?

Issue arose when several posts did not appear on the msnews servers
Saturday. Pa Bear suggested turning off the "Communities" feature and when I
reported back that I could find no hint of it he suggested I post here for
any final advice. It would appear, however, that the missing messages were
simply due to server sync problems.

So if I see nothing regarding Communities and the option your refer to isn't
enabled, then I should have no problems derived from the "Communities
feechur"? (If one is to believe Pa, WM is the longest running beta yet,
<g>.)

Bruce Hagen

Is everything working OK right now? The servers were having sporadic
problems a few days ago. If all is well right now, I wouldn't worry.

PA Bear is right about WinMail. The WinMail development team was disbanded
in June, 2006, (In order to focus on Windows Live Mail), and the entire
Vista OS was still in beta at the time.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Ronin said:
Not checked. Is that the final test?

Issue arose when several posts did not appear on the msnews servers
Saturday. Pa Bear suggested turning off the "Communities" feature and
when I reported back that I could find no hint of it he suggested I post
here for any final advice. It would appear, however, that the missing
messages were simply due to server sync problems.

So if I see nothing regarding Communities and the option your refer to
isn't enabled, then I should have no problems derived from the
"Communities feechur"? (If one is to believe Pa, WM is the longest
running beta yet, <g>.)

Ronin

Everything's fine, most of the missing posts have shown up, all but one. I
suspect is wasn't posted via msnews servers, though the reply I left using
Google Groups did show up on the msnews servers. Go figure.

I'm just trying to tie up loose ends before I move on. One other thing,
though: When I use F5 to refresh the groups, as I've done for years in OE, I
frequently but not always get an error message about not being able to
connect (can't provide the text verbatim here because as soon as I tried to
make it happen, it stopped happening. Do you know what I'm talking about?
When this happens, I simply use the synchronize button, but I was wondering
if this hints at some other issue.

--
Ronin

Bruce Hagen said:
Is everything working OK right now? The servers were having sporadic
problems a few days ago. If all is well right now, I wouldn't worry.

PA Bear is right about WinMail. The WinMail development team was disbanded
in June, 2006, (In order to focus on Windows Live Mail), and the entire
Vista OS was still in beta at the time.

Bruce Hagen

My personal preference is to disregard synchronizing and rather have
WinMail check for news when it checks for mail.

Tools | Options | Read. Uncheck: Get XXX headers at a time. Tools |
Accounts | News. Check: " Include this account...........".
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Ronin" <wanderer> wrote in message
According to Pa Bear, I should make sure the Communities feature is
disabled, presumably to prevent problems when using WM and the
msnews servers to read news. After reading the Help entries on the
subject, I replied that I saw nothing in the WM GUI that mentioned
Communities, that I don't appear to have ever subscribed to one (and
I'm 99.9% certain that I never have). His response was to send me
here. Is there a way to be 100% certain that Communities support has
been disabled in my system (Vista Ultimate)? I don't think that was
really the issue this time, but there's always the future.

If Bear sent you here, then go to the tools menu>options>general tab,
and remove the check mark from use newsgroup rating features>apply>OK

Now tell us what your problem is, please include any error messages
in your reply, unedited.

Steve Cochran

That was just a test to see if you can post without the feechur. I continue
to use the feechur, even though its very buggy, since MS decided to abandon
the Windows Mail users and that bug was never closed and never fixed. (one
of many). They did tell us that the MVPs wrote the best bug reports. So we
gave them something nice to read before they dumped them.

steve

Ronin said:
Not checked. Is that the final test?

Issue arose when several posts did not appear on the msnews servers
Saturday. Pa Bear suggested turning off the "Communities" feature and when
I reported back that I could find no hint of it he suggested I post here
for any final advice. It would appear, however, that the missing messages
were simply due to server sync problems.

So if I see nothing regarding Communities and the option your refer to
isn't enabled, then I should have no problems derived from the
"Communities feechur"? (If one is to believe Pa, WM is the longest running
beta yet, <g>.)

Ronin

I do that, too, and I set it to refresh every five minutes. But it's my
habit to refresh whenever I've finished a post, and to use keystrokes
wherever possible. I just wondered if it's a known bug and if it has a fix
before I proceed to retrain myself to use Alt-T-Z.

Thanks again for the attention!

--
Ronin

Bruce Hagen said:
[...]