Clean Installation

G

I have just bought myself a new latop whilst visiting family in germany. The laptop came with Windows XP Home Edition as a restore pack (In German). As I have my own Windows Xp Pro CD (In English) I thought that a clean fresh install of it would be just the thing to set me of. I went through the normal process, and changed the boot sequence in bios so that the computer would boot from cd rom and followed the instructions, as i have always done in the past. The installation got as far as saying "Setup Is Starting Windows". You know the one, the screen is blue, in the top left hand corner it says Windows XP Pro and on the bottom there is a white bar that tells you which files are being copied from the cd. Well after the files have been copied the message "Setup Is Starting Windows" comes. Normally it doesnt take long for the system to go from that into the nice new setup screens. But mine just sat there and did nothing. Can anyone help???

The other one that i have is, although i have no problems in either language (English or German), I always create a few partitions. You know, for Photos, Programs and Music. As i travel a lot this is easier for me rather than taking a load of Cd's everywhere i travel. Well when i use the Laptop's Restore Cd's it doesn't only install a clean good working Operating System again it wipes all the other files and folders that i have and takes away my partitions

How do I get past this little problem, and be able to get Windows XP Pro up and running like i had with my last Laptop, with all the partitions staying put when i really do have to format??????

Anyones help in this matter would be much appreciated

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows XP Does Not Respond at "Setup Is Starting Windows XP" Message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310760&Product=winxp

Restore CDs will always reformat your drive and return it to the same partition
configuration as the day it left the factory. Only by using a conventional Microsoft
Windows XP CD can this be prevented.

Clean Install Windows XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|I have just bought myself a new latop whilst visiting family in germany. The laptop came with Windows XP Home
Edition as a restore pack (In German). As I have my own Windows Xp Pro CD (In English) I thought that a clean
fresh install of it would be just the thing to set me of. I went through the normal process, and changed the
boot sequence in bios so that the computer would boot from cd rom and followed the instructions, as i have
always done in the past. The installation got as far as saying "Setup Is Starting Windows". You know the one,
the screen is blue, in the top left hand corner it says Windows XP Pro and on the bottom there is a white bar
that tells you which files are being copied from the cd. Well after the files have been copied the message
"Setup Is Starting Windows" comes. Normally it doesnt take long for the system to go from that into the nice
new setup screens. But mine just sat there and did nothing. Can anyone help????
|
| The other one that i have is, although i have no problems in either language (English or German), I always
create a few partitions. You know, for Photos, Programs and Music. As i travel a lot this is easier for me
rather than taking a load of Cd's everywhere i travel. Well when i use the Laptop's Restore Cd's it doesn't
only install a clean good working Operating System again it wipes all the other files and folders that i have
and takes away my partitions.
|
| How do I get past this little problem, and be able to get Windows XP Pro up and running like i had with my
last Laptop, with all the partitions staying put when i really do have to format???????
|
| Anyones help in this matter would be much appreciated

Ask a Question