City Regeneration

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has the area you live in been regenerated over the last few years? I went to my bank in Manchester city centre, and walked back a way that I hadn't been for a year. All of the old, run-down buildings were covered in scaffold and it looked like they were re-generating the whole street.

In the last few years some parts of Manchester have been unrecognisable changed for the better. The same is true for Newcastle (Quayside area mainly). Is it like this where you live too?

Reaction score
Well living in the capital of culture ;)... mines already nice. The entire town is currently being moved a mile up the road into what is going to be europes largest shopping center. Most old areas have been pulled down and regens been going on for quite some time now. Apparently before 2008 most of it will be finished.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
marleyuk said:
Well living in the capital of culture ;)... mines already nice. The entire town is currently being moved a mile up the road into what is going to be europes largest shopping center. Most old areas have been pulled down and regens been going on for quite some time now. Apparently before 2008 most of it will be finished.
So Liverpool has changed loads then? Its only 40 mins from here so I'll probably get the train across one day, as I've heard its pretty good :)

Reaction score
Its the best night out in england with newcastle not far second id say. As soon as town is finished, it really will be better.. at the moment we could do with a few mores shops that your average Topman, burton and riverisland. This new place apparently is gonna bring em. It could do with a few more day time activities though. Again, apparently the biggest Ski Slope in the UK is being built here soon, and an a new ice rink. Appart from that i dont suppose theres much else to do anywhere during the week :). Just dont wear an United shirt and you'll be fine ;).

Reaction score
Land

Living in the green belt of the home counties the thing most builders do here is, buy a lovely 1930's house with big gardens and then build 4 houses on the same plot.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Well where i live in Stoke ...the area is fast becoming the distribution capital of the UK..obviously for its central position and its proximity to the M6.
http://www.instaffs.co.uk/default.asp

The Potteries as it is affectionately known is fast becoming a relic of progressive history, Sad really when you think of the heritage . I still work in the industry and have done for 20 years and so did most of my ancestors . But as they say Life goes on and if you stand still then you get left behind .

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
So Liverpool has changed loads then? Its only 40 mins from here so I'll probably get the train across one day, as I've heard its pretty good :)

Yes definitely. John left 20 years ago but he still keeps an eye on the place obviously (every scouser I've ever met is extreemly loyal to their home) & he says he can hardly recognise the place any more. Bombed out areas are now expensive apartments. The coat of industrial greyness (that he hated) is mostly gone & the city has been 'regenerated' beyond recognition. When he tells me 'funny stories' from when he was a 'kid' it's enough to give me nightmares & yet he'll have me ROTFL at the same time.
I'd love for him to show me Liverpool, but he's not sure if he wants to go back. dubious that he wont know the place any more. That the Liverpool he knows & loves just doesn't exist anymore.

Ask a Question