Chester Zoo

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We had a great day out at Chester Zoo yesterday - think we've been once before but it was so long ago that I could barely remember what we saw! It was really quiet - as you'd expect now that the kids are back at school. We had luck with the weather too - it was windy but bright and sunny a lot of the time. Unfortunately a lot of the animals were kept inside because of the wind, but we still saw loads.

I took some photos that I thought you might be interested in seeing :)

DSC_0009.JPG

Baby elephant! About 4 weeks old
DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

Galapagos giant tortoise
DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

They had a sign up near this nest (which was on a roof in an open area) saying please don't throw things at the bird... makes you wonder if there was an incident that lead to the sign... Who on earth would throw things at a nesting bird?! Mind you, I had to tell off a woman for tapping on the glass at the chimpanzee house. She was NOT happy :D
DSC_0092.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

Baby giraffe! 2.5 weeks old
DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

And finally a jaguar
DSC_0152.JPG

Can't wait to go back and see the rest! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Awesome! We do like a trip to the zoo ourselves. Maybe when its a tad warmer though!

Great looking photo's too, DSLR? 5 and 6 are really nice, colours, DoF etc. :)

Edit: and yes, I've never understood why people bang on the glass of enclosures or worse still fish tanks either.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Thanks chaps! :)

Great looking photo's too, DSLR? 5 and 6 are really nice, colours, DoF etc. :)

They were all taken using my Nikon D3200 with the 55-200mm lens. I'm please with how some of the indoor photos came out (tortoises & birds) because it was quite dark and I don't really have the right lens for those situations.

I reckon people who bang on enclosures should maybe be thrown into the enclosure. Especially if it's a cobra or Jaguar enclosure :D

I quite agree! :lol: I asked her nicely to stop at first, and she just looked at me blankly and said "I'll do what I want", then carried on doing it. So then I told her off :nod: :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
They've come out great. :)

I asked her nicely to stop at first, and she just looked at me blankly and said "I'll do what I want", then carried on doing it. So then I told her off :nod: :thumb:

Haha, Good on ya. Some people really shouldn't be allowed out without supervision....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Didn't know there were any zoos left. :eek:

Thought the PC brigade had got rid of them all.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Generally speaking I don't favour the idea of zoos, keeping animals in captivity who were really meant to run wild and free. However, I do believe zoos perform many very worthwhile functions protecting endangered species being the main one.

It also enables us human beanz to study animal behaviour and I have to confess I really enjoy visiting a lot of zoos. The last one I visited was Colchester Zoo, that was good.

A lot of animal species don't seem to mind being kept in captivity at all, and if an animal is born in a zoo I suppose that lessens any possible feelings of distress an animal may suffer.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Beautiful photos @Becky! Aww that baby elephant is so cute - I really have a huge soft-spot for elephants.

Sheesh, some people appear to be totally devoid of empathy for animals, seeing them only as some kind of entertainment source. Good for you for defending the chimps from that thoughtless woman Becky; I wonder how she would feel about having passers-by tapping on her living room window and disturbing her? :lol:

Reaction score
We have a zoo called Howlets near us down on the coast and many of the animals have acres to roam about in and they also take back animal back to the wild and released especially the ape with a lot of success. I understand many other zoos do the same thing so they are supporting the wild life by reintroducing and supporting the wild life in their own habitat.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Yeah I have mixed feelings about zoos too. I'm not fond of seeing large creatures in them, as there is no way to recreate the space they would have in the wild. Elephants are a good example, and other creatures too such as lions. Safari parks are probably better in this regard, because at least they do have a bit more space. But then I do agree that the breeding programs that zoos have can be very important to endangered species and our understanding of the animals, so there are upsides too. Speaking to one of the volunteers working at Chester Zoo he described the place as a 'baby machine'! As zoos go, it's a pretty good one and the animals generally have good enclosures with a decent amount of space to roam and hide.

However I've been to some zoos in the past where the enclosures are tiny and the animals are clearly not happy. Super depressing :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
We've got Whipsnade and Woburn Safari Parks near us and have been a few times. I do enjoy the drive though the animals, Lions and Tigers etc. :)

Longleat is really good too, but we haven't been there for years.

Did London Zoo too, that was good too.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm anti-zoo. I haven't been to one for probably 30 years but when I did go I was very disappointed with the conditions and, TBH, the amount of space that most of the animals had. And, even in safari parks in the UK, should animals that normally live in African conditions be subject to our climate. I know they seem to be OK but how do we know for sure? They may be very uncomfortable.

I feel that all animals should be in their natural conditions with an unlimited amount of space in which to roam. Any research and conservation work should be done in their natural environment.

I have to say that I have been spoiled, having been to quite a few wild life and safari parks in Africa and Asia where they have hundreds of square miles to wander. Seeing animals in the wild is truly spectacular. I've been very lucky. :)

Reaction score
Chester Zoo only 25 mins up the road from me. I try and go now and then but find it's prices too steep.

From where I am my son and I can get a round return train ticket and bus back and forth from Bache station to Zoo for £35 including entry. Very good I guess if spare money is to be had.

However a lot of the times we have been the enclosure were closed or the animals were nowhere to be seen without warning or signs posted. Orangutan's mostly. Quite infuriating

Reaction score
I am sorry for you, I am in the same position as you financially TD I find the entrance price to an attraction now is above my means. As a pensioner I am on a fixed income I have to run a car because the bus service would only give me 1 1/2 hours in Maidstone to go shopping, one reason I went from Microsoft to Linux was the cost. I am afraid many people are in the position as you and me but you only hear about people who to us are reasonably well payed and not on a limited budget. Heavens only knows how people can afford to catch the train to go to work in London every day. Main thing is count your blessings there people worse off.:(

Ask a Question