Cheap broadband?

Reaction score
OK i need to find an ISP that covers Somerest/Devon in rural locations, so cant be cable. I'm looking for 512k or 1MB on a monthly contract & as cheap as possible. My sister was let down by BT on this and needs to get back on-line as asap.

Cheers in advance:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are there any bandwidth requirement, or would a 2GB service be enough?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Are there any bandwidth requirement, or would a 2GB service be enough?
2GB, now that would be good, Ian:D
Anything from 512k to 4MB would be fine, but it may be slow because of her rural location.
But cant be a yearly contract due to the fact she is only renting a house for 4 months.

She will keep her BT line though.

Reaction score
AbsoluteKevster said:
Just hope she's near an ADSL exchange!:thumb:
Does 6 houses & a pub count!
Seems her local exchange takes broadband, but she is about 4 miles away from it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
feckit said:
Does 6 houses & a pub count!QUOTE]

Pubs ALWAYS count, my friend :D

There may be cheaper places online, but it sounds like your sister wants some quality service... My mum has been with Virgin for about 18 months and had no problems whatsoever.

They supply the modem, and I believe they have freephone support.
Lots of happy people - http://www.net4now.com/rating/view_comments.asp?ISP_ID=359

:)

Reaction score
Reaction score
You could call Talk Talk. They may install it for you by the time she's about to move out!!!!!!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice one

By Bodhi
You could call Talk Talk. They may install it for you by the time she's about to move out!!!!!!

lol

or you could get it installed maybe 2 days earlier by cancelling the direct debit :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm with Zen.

It's not cheap, let's get that straight.

£25.00 a month.

One month minimum contract. Up to 8Mb download speed. One gig web space. 20Gb a month bandwidth. Excellent support. No penalties for not paying by direct debit, you're invoiced monthly be e-mail and can pay online by credit card or post a cheque. You can print off or have sent to you a VAT invoice.

I've been with them 4.5 years now. Not one complaint. And online gaming's great.

But, like I said, it's 25 quid a month.

You get what you pay for.

If it's only for four months, it's definitely worth considering.

Assuming, of course, her local BT exchange can cope with her being 4 miles away.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I checked out Plusnet, seems ok. You can pay monthly with one month minimum contract, you get 100Mb web space (not much).

You are restricted to 4Gb monthly bandwidth at peak times and if you want their free usb modem it'll cost you six quid to have it posted to you.

Other than that, if you're a lite surfer, seems ok :)

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice

Thanks for all your ideas & thoughts on the subject:thumb:
May get Sis to go with virgin as it's a monthly contract.
But knowing her she may well go with who ever can get her on-line the quickest.
And the 3GB download is fine, she only wants it for email & the odd surfing.
She has stopped downloading music, no real point with over 400GB worth already!:eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Plusnet deal is better than Virgin's. Same price but faster download speed and greater monthly bandwidth allowance with Plusnet.

And as CP and I have both now pointed out, monthly contract available with both :)

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Plusnet is a monthly contract aswell.

Top notch company too...

but yeah... w/e :)
Chris, i will put all the info together in an email to her at work, she will digest the info and then decide. She may well decide to change her mind, this is something some women do all the time.:rolleyes:

Ask a Question