Changing permissions

TonnyD

Since I cant use frontpage to change permissions I got core ftp to do
so. But when I use core ftp to do this It gives me an error 500 siter
chmod 755 poll: command not understood. What do I have to do in order
to be able to change permissions with this software?

Thanks for your help.

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Contact your host - have them change the permissions.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

| Since I cant use frontpage to change permissions I got core ftp to do
| so. But when I use core ftp to do this It gives me an error 500 siter
| chmod 755 poll: command not understood. What do I have to do in order
| to be able to change permissions with this software?
|
| Thanks for your help.

TonnyD

It is running on windows. How can I change permissions now? Could the
host actualy change the permissions for files for me?

TonnyD

I was looking threw the help stuff at godaddy and it looks like you
can do it threw a simple control panel, but in order to get to the
simple control panel you need a dedicated IP address. I dont have one
so that is not going to work. I dont see any options in the reguler
control panel. I have a file manager there, but it just lets me
download, upload, delete and rename stuff. I did E-mail godaddy but
havent heard any thing.

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Many users report that GoDaddy support leaves a lot to be desired.

--
===
Tom [Pepper] Willett
:I was looking threw the help stuff at godaddy and it looks like you
: can do it threw a simple control panel, but in order to get to the
: simple control panel you need a dedicated IP address. I dont have one
: so that is not going to work. I dont see any options in the reguler
: control panel. I have a file manager there, but it just lets me
: download, upload, delete and rename stuff. I did E-mail godaddy but
: havent heard any thing.
:

Mike Mueller

I juxtaposed a little
-Many users leave GoDaddy reporting that support leaves a lot to be desired.

TonnyD

I juxtaposed a little
-Many users leave GoDaddy reporting that support leaves a lot to be desired.

"Tom [Pepper] Willett" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:O%[email protected]...

Thats funny. I was actualy thinking that I might have to change to a
different host. godaddy doesnt support any thing that I need on
windows. I cant connect PHP scripts with the mysql. Cant switch to
linux withought changing my forum since I use ASP. Cant change
permissions withought purchasing more junk. If any one has any more
ideas about how to change permissions with window based server let me
know.

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Perhaps we should backup a little...exactly what are you trying to do?
Change permissions for what?

If you're using a prefab forum access for users is managed within the forum
software...maybe that's what you're after?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

| > I juxtaposed a little
| > -Many users leave GoDaddy reporting that support leaves a lot to be
desired.

message|
| Thats funny. I was actualy thinking that I might have to change to a
| different host. godaddy doesnt support any thing that I need on
| windows. I cant connect PHP scripts with the mysql. Cant switch to
| linux withought changing my forum since I use ASP. Cant change
| permissions withought purchasing more junk. If any one has any more
| ideas about how to change permissions with window based server let me
| know.

TonnyD

what im doing is tryiing to install the poll "poll4web" My issue is
where the poll is suppost it creat several files within the polls
directory(its unable to create these files) . two of the files are
suppost to be text files. Any way I contacted the tech support of the
company that wrote the script and they told me that the problem was
that i needed to change the permisions of the main directory for the
poll and for a file called init.php to 755. Here is the E-mail;

"Another problem with "undefined" outputs is happened due an PHP
error. It seems that it isn't able to create a new subfolder
poll_results. So please set attributes for "poll" folder and init.php
file as "755" - I hope it will help. Let me know if problem will
remains."

So thats what needs to be done. Also I got an E-mail back from godaddy
that said this;

"You can specify directory permissions by using Directory Management
within your hosting control panel. Note that Directory Management will
not be available if you have FrontPage extensions installed. If you
have FrontPage Extensions installed and wish to manage directory
permissions, you can uninstall FrontPage Extensions from the Other
Settings page or modify your permissions through your website
publishing software."

The funny thing is i am using frontpage extention because i am using
the ASP databse from Frontpage to run the main forum. So I asked if I
can turn off the extention, change the permisions, then re install it
and still have the permissions. That might sound like a stupid
question, but Im not familier with how that works,

Ronx

Open the site on GoDaddy in FrontPage, right click on the folder you
need to change permissions on, and choose Properties.
Clear the box labelled "Allow scripts to run"
Then tick the boxes labelled "Allow anonymous uploads to this directory"
and "allow uploaded files to overwrite existing filenames"

However, if you do this, you cannot place any PHP files in the folder
because the PHP code will not run. PHP scripts on pages *outside* this
folder will be able to create and modify files in the folder.

TonnyD

one of the files that needs its permissions changed is a php files.
Godaddy just e-mailed me and said I can take off the frontpage
extention make the changes to permissions, then re install frontpage
extention. So im ging to try that tonight.