Change Language Windows XP Professional

I have succeeded to incorrectly install the wrong language of Win XP
Professional onto a brand new PC and need to change it.

The legally purchased Win XP CD is a Swedish version and all menu functions
are in Swedish.

Is it possible to change the language to English in an easy way?

If I reinstall Win XP is it possible to choose English instead of the
current Swedish?

How do I reinstall Win XP. I tried using the function “Add or Remove
Programs†but Windows XP did not show up as a choice.

Very thankful for any suggestions.

Fredrik N
(I am located in dark and snowy Stockholm, Sweden)

Mungo Bulge

Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on - change the user interface
language to get localized dialog boxes, menus, help files,
dictionaries, and proofing tools etc.

Chapter 3 Windows XP Resource Kit is good reading (off the WEB)

Win 2K & XP are multi lingual OS. Just for fun, I switched my EN
(Canada) to Swedish. The results are interesting. I don't have the MUI
installed, so the Dialogue boxes are titled in English but the
information is displayed in Swedish and the default input language for
Word is Swedish.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Windows can't delete itself. You need to buy an english version.

David Candy

Except you can't buy it. If you read the question carefully you'll see he already has XP therefore the MUI is unavailable.

Bruce Chambers

Fredrik_N said:
I have succeeded to incorrectly install the wrong language of Win XP
Professional onto a brand new PC and need to change it.

The legally purchased Win XP CD is a Swedish version and all menu functions
are in Swedish.

Is it possible to change the language to English in an easy way?

If I reinstall Win XP is it possible to choose English instead of the
current Swedish?

How do I reinstall Win XP. I tried using the function “Add or Remove
Programs†but Windows XP did not show up as a choice.

Very thankful for any suggestions.

Fredrik N
(I am located in dark and snowy Stockholm, Sweden)

You cannot upgrade or convert from one language version of the OS
to another, so you'll have to purchase and use the full version of
WinXP (in whatever language you want) to perform a clean installation.

Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH

Mungo Bulge

I'll just ignor Dave for a while and get back to your problem. You did
not mention if the system you loaded XP onto had a US International
keyboard, or what. BTY there are two Swedish Retail versions of Window
XP one of which is Multi-Lingual (MUI ready) and one is not. There is
also an OEM version which is also Multi-Lingual.
Anyway, why not try this:
Activate Language Bar
This procedure activates the Language Bar utility which allows you to
switch keyboards from your desktop.
Control Panels window, then click on the Regional and Language Options
icon (globe).
2.In the Regional Options window, click on the Language tab on the
top.
3.Click the Details button to open the Settings window.
Language Tab. Click on Details next.
4.Click on the Language Bar button at the bottom to open the Language
Bar Settings window.
Language Settings window. Click on Language Bar to activate.
5.Check the option Show the Language bar on the desktop, then click OK
to close the window.
NOTE: You can click Show Text Labels to show the full label. Otherwise
only icons (e.g. for English) will be shown.
6.To activate different keyboard utilities, click on the Add button in
the Settings window and follow the instructions
Also change everything else in the Regional and Language Options to
English

If you managed to install a retail version of Windows XP (SP2) Full
(Swedish VRMPFPP_SV not WXPFPP_SV), you know enough of the language to
get by with this fix. However, if the instalation was in English then
you installed an OEM Multi-Lingual (Swedish VRMPOEM_SV not WXPOEM_SV)
version, and we will not dicuss the implications of that, nor ask how
you came to have it in your posession, other than to say you can
easily switch languages.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Except you can't buy it. If you read the question carefully you'll see
he already has XP therefore the MUI is unavailable.

Mungo Bulge

Actualy Bruce, if you read the resolution section, you will see that
the problem isn't realy a problem for XP.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
.Determine if the language version of Windows that you want to
install is already supported by Windows. For additional information
about the languages that are supported in Windows XP and Windows 2000,
click the following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
292246 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292246/) List of languages
supported in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003