Certain icons fail to load in taskbar when booting.

john3347

Certain icons that should appear in taskbar fail to load when booting
computer. This only affects some of the icons. "Sound" (volume and
mute control), "safely remove hardware", and "Windows Home Server"
icons (and, I think, one or two others.) fail to load. Others, such as
"AVG Antivirus", "network status", "printer", and others load and appear
normally. The icons that fail to load are NOT turned off in MSCONFIG.

I can open "sounds and audio devices" folder in control panel and the
box titled "Place volume icon in the taskbar" is checked but the icon
is not present. I can un-check the selection > click "apply" >
re-check the selection > click "apply" again, and the icon will appear
and remain until the next time the computer is re-booted.

Windows Home Server functions normally except that the icon (shortcut)
is not present. I can access WHS through a desktop shortcut that I
have created, but I should not have to do it that way. I can reinstall
the WHS connector software and the icon appears and remains until the
computer is re-booted. (There are 8 computers on the network; some
laptops, some desktops, some Windows XP and two Vista.) This problem
appears NOT to be network related as this is the only computer
displaying these symptoms.

I have not found any way to make the "safely remove hardware" appear as
it should; not even temporarily.

Anybody got any suggestions?? Help!!

john3347

powerwalk;3215727 said:
I had, and still have the identical problem as you. I posted on 9/2
which
resulted in a lengthy exchange. I thank all the great folks who too
the
time to offer help to me, but nothing I've tried has worked.

Maybe something here will help you. The page of my original post."

Thank you so very much, powerwalk. There are several hours worth o
perusing there, so I have bookmarked the thread and I will go throug
its entirety over the next few days. If I find a solution among th
suggestions, I will relay to you what cured the problem. I have no
tried a complete format and Windows re-install yet because the 'cure
would be more painful than the 'disease' in this case. I have a sneak
suspicion that, somehow, the OS has lost a file and doesn't even realiz
it is gone and therefore it cannot issue an error message. I'll kee
you (and anyone else interested) posted of any progress in this thread

Gary Brandenburg

John-
The items that you're referring to in the System Tray or System Notification Area (by
the clock) should be restored if you go to Administration Tools/Services & change the
SSDP Discovery Service to disabled.
You may have to,also change the Universal Plug & Play Service to manual ,then reboot
the machine.

~Gary

john3347

'Gary Brandenburg[_2_ said:
;3215865']"john3347" john3347-haha%yahoo.com-mon wrote in message

"powerwalk;3215727 Wrote:-
I had, and still have the identical problem as you. I posted on 9/20
which
resulted in a lengthy exchange. I thank all the great folks who took
the
time to offer help to me, but nothing I've tried has worked.

Maybe something here will help you. The page of my original post."

Thank you so very much, powerwalk. There are several hours worth of
perusing there, so I have bookmarked the thread and I will go through
its entirety over the next few days. If I find a solution among the
suggestions, I will relay to you what cured the problem. I have not
tried a complete format and Windows re-install yet because the 'cure'
would be more painful than the 'disease' in this case. I have a
sneaky
suspicion that, somehow, the OS has lost a file and doesn't even
realize
it is gone and therefore it cannot issue an error message. I'll keep

--
john3347-

John-
The items that you're referring to in the System Tray or System
Notification Area (by
the clock) should be restored if you go to Administration
Tools/Services & change the
SSDP Discovery Service to disabled.
You may have to,also change the Universal Plug & Play Service to manual
,then reboot
the machine.

~Gary

Gary, thanks ever so much! I followed your path and changed SSDP
Discovery Service (whatever that actually is) to 'disabled' and
rebooted and all icons appeared normally. Now I question whether any
new hardware that I install will properly plug & play, or if I will
have to do something manually to get an item installed.

Powerwalk, if you are following this thread, Gary's advice might be the
solution to your problem also.

John

john3347

john3347;3216143 said:
Gary, thanks ever so much! I followed your path and changed SSD
Discovery Service (whatever that actually is) to 'disabled' an
rebooted and all icons appeared normally. Now I question whether an
new hardware that I install will properly plug & play, or if I wil
have to do something manually to get an item installed.

Powerwalk, if you are following this thread, Gary's advice might be th
solution to your problem also.

John

(Is there a place to mark a thread in this forum as "answered"?

Bob I

john3347 said:
(Is there a place to mark a thread in this forum as "answered"?)

Only if you accessed this newsgroup through the Microsoft servers Web
interface. (this is actually a newsgroup, not a forum)

Gary Brandenburg

"powerwalk;3215727 Wrote:-
[...]

You're very welcome,John-
I have UPnP set to manual & have had no problems with Windows recognizing any
devices,but someone with more knowledge on the subject may be able to explain any
disadvantages of doing so.
Anyway,I'm glad that you got it working the way that you wanted & thanks for
reporting your results.

~Gary

john3347

Gary, thanks ever so much! I followed your path and changed SSDP
Discovery Service (whatever that actually is) to 'disabled' and
rebooted and all icons appeared normally. Now I question whether any
new hardware that I install will properly plug & play, or if I will
have to do something manually to get an item installed.

Powerwalk, if you are following this thread, Gary's advice might b
the
solution to your problem also.

John
[/QUOTE]

You're very welcome,John-
I have UPnP set to manual & have had no problems with Window
recognizing any
devices,but someone with more knowledge on the subject may be able t
explain any
disadvantages of doing so.
Anyway,I'm glad that you got it working the way that you wanted
thanks for
reporting your results.

~Gary

Yeah Gary, I hope I have it working the way I want it to. The icons ar
performing normally, I just do not know what will happen when I install
new CD drive or insert a flash drive and want the computer to recogniz
and install it with no operator input. Does anyone following thi
thread know what effect the different options in SSDP Discovery Servic
(automatic, manual, disabled) have on other items in addition to th
icons in the system notification area, aka system tray

Gary Brandenburg

john3347 said:
[...]

Yeah Gary, I hope I have it working the way I want it to. The icons are
performing normally, I just do not know what will happen when I install a
new CD drive or insert a flash drive and want the computer to recognize
and install it with no operator input. Does anyone following this
thread know what effect the different options in SSDP Discovery Service
(automatic, manual, disabled) have on other items in addition to the
icons in the system notification area, aka system tray.
[/QUOTE]

I use a several flash drives & 2 different external hard drives just about daily,& I
don't see any difference in the way that they connect/disconnect.
(And I have a obsessive habit of checking the Event Viewer after every boot)
My Memorex U3 flash drive has a startup app called Launchpad & it works like it
should,every time I insert the drive.

I hope that this helps remove any doubts that you may have,but as they usually
say:"YMMV"
Just give it a try.

~Gary