CD-ROM not recognized

KevinDR

My CD-ROM is not being recognized in My Computer, and CDs won't load.
Device Manager says the drive is functioning normally, the drivers are the
latest and not corrupted.
(I've already looked at the previous threads on this subject, tried many of
the solutions even using the Guided Help software, but still no luck).
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Dragomir Kollaric

My CD-ROM is not being recognized in My Computer, and CDs won't load.
Device Manager says the drive is functioning normally, the drivers are the
latest and not corrupted.
(I've already looked at the previous threads on this subject, tried many of
the solutions even using the Guided Help software, but still no luck).
Any suggestions?

My first attempt to rule out *hardware* failure is to change
the *boot-order* in the BIOS (If it's not set already so) to
boot from CD-ROM. Then stick in a Live-CD into the unit and
boot the PC. If the Live-CD comes up OK then there is no
Problem with the Drive itself.

Have you tried this?

Dragomir Kollaric[/QUOTE]

foxster

KevinDR said:
My CD-ROM is not being recognized in My Computer, and CDs won't load.
Device Manager says the drive is functioning normally, the drivers are the
latest and not corrupted.
(I've already looked at the previous threads on this subject, tried many of
the solutions even using the Guided Help software, but still no luck).
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Daren

Its funny, I can read a burned copy but not an orignal, anytime I place a commercial cd or dvd I get a cd or dvd not recognized with a disk i/o error. Well if I boot into dos or boot to a bootable cd or dvd it works fine. Just in windows xp sp2. I did a full restore on my toshiba a105-s4334 and still get the same error right off the bat. I also noticed when it boots up it states that I cannot burn dvd's if I have the recording option checked in the properties of the cd/dvd drive. I have it checked on all my other systems and it works fine. When I uncheck the box it will read my burned cd but when I check it it wont read any thing and get the error. Mind you I have restored using the hard drive factory restore settings. Is there a virus that hoses up the firmware or some other area to hose the dvd/cd drive to not read commercial disks? The reason I reformatted was due to a virus on my laptop. Please help as I googled this same thing and found lots of people with the same error but NO fix as of yet. I tried the regedit fix to no avail.

Thank you

KevinD wrote:

CD-ROM not recognized
10-Sep-08

My CD-ROM is not being recognized in My Computer, and CDs won't load
Device Manager says the drive is functioning normally, the drivers are the
latest and not corrupted
(I've already looked at the previous threads on this subject, tried many of
the solutions even using the Guided Help software, but still no luck)
Any suggestions
Thanks.

Lottery Software: Fact or Fiction?
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...58-f9b58f87bfcc/lottery-software-fact-or.aspx

Daren

Just to add I did finish all MS windows updates to date.

Thanks

Daren wrote:

CD or DVD not recognized in windows xp
02-Oct-09

[...]

A Brief Synopsis of C# Class and Method Modifiers
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...53-7f01f292f7e7/a-brief-synopsis-of-c-cl.aspx

msnews.microsoft.com

Hi,

Bob said:
Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or
other programs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

"Daren" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I've been lurking here for a few hours. I too lost my 2 CD/DVD drives in
device manager and lost them in every one of my programs.

Your adviese here let me run
FixIt for XP and they came right back. I thank you for the help and
suggestions.

Best regards,

Bob

You're welcome. Glad to hear it worked for you.

Hi,