CD ROM not detected by Bios/Windows


P

pete0085

I was trying to help someone with a cd rom problem. The Bios said the cd rom
is not installed and it doesn't show up in windows. MSINFO doesn't recognize
any cd rom.

It has been there and worked fine in the past. You can open the cd rom and
the rw drive bay. They at least have power and nothing happens if you put in
a cd.

The cables are all connected in the right place. I thought about trying to
get a new IDE cable for the cd and cd rw drive. Anything else I should try
first?

Thanks.
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

sgopus

mine died recently and showed the same thing, I suggest (if possible), you
try it in a different pc, if you get the same results then it's dead, time to
bury it and get a new one.
 
S

Shenan Stanley

pete0085 said:
I was trying to help someone with a cd rom problem. The Bios said
the cd rom is not installed and it doesn't show up in windows.
MSINFO doesn't recognize any cd rom.

It has been there and worked fine in the past. You can open the cd
rom and the rw drive bay. They at least have power and nothing
happens if you put in a cd.

The cables are all connected in the right place. I thought about
trying to get a new IDE cable for the cd and cd rw drive. Anything
else I should try first?

Try a known working CDROM drive in the machine (like one working fine in
another machine). If it works with the old cable - it's the drive.

If it does not - try the cable from the other machine as well. If it works,
then try the cable with the old drive - if it continues to work - it is the
cable.

If none of that works - try the drive from the non-working machine in the
machine that had the working drive. If it works - try it with the cable
from the non-working machine too. If all that works - could be the
controller in the old machine is toast.

Most of the time - given the symptoms you have - it's the drive.
 
L

Lil' Dave

pete0085 said:
I was trying to help someone with a cd rom problem. The Bios said the cd
rom
is not installed and it doesn't show up in windows. MSINFO doesn't
recognize
any cd rom.

It has been there and worked fine in the past. You can open the cd rom
and
the rw drive bay. They at least have power and nothing happens if you put
in
a cd.

The cables are all connected in the right place. I thought about trying
to
get a new IDE cable for the cd and cd rw drive. Anything else I should
try
first?

Thanks.

Provide month/year manufacture date of cdrom, month/year of bios, whether
the ide port is enabled in the bios, any device attached to same ide ribbon
cable, whether devices are slave or master including cdrom...
 
P

pete0085

Thanks.

The reason I think it's the cable is two drives don't work. There is a
cd/dvd rom and a second CD-RW drive. Neither of those show up in windows
explorer. They will open as I mentioned earlier.

It's not very likely both would fail at the same time. It's possible, but
both are connected to the same cable. If that doesn't fix the problem, then
most likely the drive(s) are bad.
 
P

pete0085

I will provide as much as I know. The CD ROM works in another machine.
Nothing wrong with the device. I read somewhere about deleting a reg setting
in hklm\currentcontrolset\control\class\{id of cd rom}. Anyone heard of this
before?

The DVD ROM is a Samsung, Model SD-616, November 2003.

I didn't have time to look into the bios for more settings. He wanted me to
install a new antivirus program and that's when he realized there was
problems with the cd rom.

At least I know the dvd works, so like you said could be a bios issue, a
registry problem or (hopefully not) a problem with the motherboard.
 
Ad

Advertisements

O

OldDuke

I was trying to help someone with a cd rom problem. The Bios said the cd rom
is not installed and it doesn't show up in windows. MSINFO doesn't recognize
any cd rom.

It has been there and worked fine in the past. You can open the cd rom and
the rw drive bay. They at least have power and nothing happens if you put in
a cd.

The cables are all connected in the right place. I thought about trying to
get a new IDE cable for the cd and cd rw drive. Anything else I should try
first?

Thanks.
It if does not show in BIOS then the problem has NOTHING to do with
the OS - meaning the question is out of place HERE.

Ask elsewhere
 
M

M.I.5¾

OldDuke said:
It if does not show in BIOS then the problem has NOTHING to do with
the OS - meaning the question is out of place HERE.

Ask elsewhere

Ignore our resident ****wit. He has been told time and time again that
hardware questions are perfectly acceptable in this *hardware* newsgroup.
He alone (and he is alone in this) has decided that he decides what can and
can't be posted here. It makes no difference, everone takes no notice.
 
L

Lil' Dave

pete0085 said:
I will provide as much as I know. The CD ROM works in another machine.
Nothing wrong with the device. I read somewhere about deleting a reg
setting
in hklm\currentcontrolset\control\class\{id of cd rom}. Anyone heard of
this
before?

The DVD ROM is a Samsung, Model SD-616, November 2003.

I didn't have time to look into the bios for more settings. He wanted me
to
install a new antivirus program and that's when he realized there was
problems with the cd rom.

At least I know the dvd works, so like you said could be a bios issue, a
registry problem or (hopefully not) a problem with the motherboard.

See the newsgroup thread commencing 05/19 1:07 p.m. this newsgroup under
Blaze77. He posted such a solution in one of his follow-ups.

I like to work from the beginning at the bios setup and what it detects,
instead of starting from XP and working backwards.
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

Walter Wall

OldDuke said:
It if does not show in BIOS then the problem has NOTHING to do with
the OS - meaning the question is out of place HERE.

Ask elsewhere

The thread title says the "CD ROM is not detected by ... windows".

That would seem to make it relevant here by your standards. Your post is
therefore out of place here.

Post elsewhere*

*On second thoughts do us all a favour and don't.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top