CD-player/burner not working

Reaction score
Hi

I can't get the built in CD-player/burner to work - when I go in to 'my computer' it's not listed there, when I put a CD in nothing happens (apart from that I can see due to a small green, flashing light that it starts reading it but then stops) and if I try to rip a CD it says that I need to put a CD in (same whether trying Windows Media Player or Real). Then I went in to via Control Panel and Device Manager to uninstall the driver and then restarted. But that didn't help either...

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
a CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDRW drive will typically function or not. If the drive does not show in My Computer, it may be faulty or not connected. If you recently had work done to the machine, a disconnected drive could be the case. If not, chances are that you have a bad drive. I would verify this with a few different, legitimate copy, discs of the proper type. For example, a DVD will not be recognized in a CD rom or CDRW drive. However, a music CD should be recognized in any drive. Try the data disc in another computer or a music disc in another music cd player.

Another test you could use is a bootable CD, ex Windows Installation Disc. Most computers have the ability to boot to CD. If you do not have a floppy drive installed in the machine, chances are that it is setup to boot from CD. If you use your Windows Installation Disc, you could use this disc to start the machine. This eliminates any Windows interference that could occur and focuses on the hardware involved. A failure to start the machine could indicate that you have a faulty drive.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
If it's not listed in "My Computer" then you either have a bad drive or a bad cable connecting it to your motherboard.

It should be listed whether there's a disk in it or not.

Reaction score
Have you recently had an upgrade from i-tunes ? The reason i ask is because i has a similar issue last year when i got an update from i-tunes and it rendered my cd/dvd player useless. Then amazingly when i got another fresh update from i-tunes it started working again..

Ask a Question