CD Access Causes Machine to hang...

Scott Townsend

So no matter what CD or type of CD I try to access in my Machine, it hangs
the PC. Cd, CDR, or DVD. Its fine just being in there, though once something
is Accessed on it, about 3 seconds later the PC Hangs. No pinging, no
nothing. Have to hold power button to get it back.

Any Help in troubleshooting would be great!

Thanks!
Scott<-

I'm running WinXP SP2 all updates.
Its a IBM ThinkCentre 814723U

Here is the Info on the CD/DVD
Drive G:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492B
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate Not Available
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID
IDE\CDROMTSSTCORP_CDW/DVD_TS-H492B_______________IB00____\5&327DCE38&0&0.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/29/2002 1:27 AM)

I get the Following jsut before it hangs.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7035
Date: 5/22/2006
Time: 1:26:10 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start
control.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7036
Date: 5/22/2006
Time: 1:26:10 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the running state.

John

Are the jumpers set correctly?

If you have a spare cd or dvd drive, try disconnecting the offending item
and slave in the spare. Be sure to set the jumpers on the back though.
Hopefully it's just a faulty drive but post back if not.
In my experience cd and dvd drives can be the route of many problems and
they are normally the last thing you would think to check.

Regards

John

Scott Townsend

Hmmm... Things have been working fine, its just been recently that its
started acting up.

There is a HD plugged into the same IDE Cable, though it does not have Power
on it. The HD Died a while back and I just removed the Power from it.

I'll Unplug the IDE Cable and reboot to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Scott<-

Scott Townsend

Hmmm, I disconnected my old HD form the IDE Cable and it no longer Crashes.
Hip Hip Hurray!!

Now the next project to get the data off the dead drive and ghost the main
drive to a bigger one...

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Scott,

I'm glad to see everything now goes well. However, I'd like to suggest you
not to use Ghost. I do understand Ghost is a convenient utility to backup
the system but Microsoft will not support cloned or ghosted systems that
were not deployed following the support Microsoft process. Please see the
following for more information:

298491 How To Use the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep.exe) to Perform Disk
Duplication
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;298491

302577 How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302577

828287 Unsupported Sysprep scenarios
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;828287

Sysprep is a tool that is designed for system administrators, Original
Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), and others who must automatically deploy
the Windows XP operating system on multiple computers. After you perform
the initial setup steps on a single computer, you can run the Sysprep tool
to prepare the sample computer for cloning.

I'll appreciate your understanding.

Have a good day.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Scott Townsend

On your first link, Line 11 It states:
11. Shut down the computer, remove the hard disk from the computer,
and then clone it by using a third party disk-imaging process. Note that you
shut down the computer automatically when you run Sysprep.exe by using
the -reboot switch.

So isn't Ghost a 3rd party disk imaging process?

I do not believe that I want to use Sysprep as All I'm trying to do is
increase the size of my primary Hard Drive. So I would be ghosting my 100gb
drive to a 300gb drive and placing it back in the same machine, then wiping
out the original 100gb drive (or keep it as a backup)

So I'm not working with multiple computers, just the one PC.

Thank you,
Scott<-

Malke

Scott said:
On your first link, Line 11 It states:
11. Shut down the computer, remove the hard disk from the
computer,
and then clone it by using a third party disk-imaging process. Note
that you shut down the computer automatically when you run Sysprep.exe
by using the -reboot switch.

So isn't Ghost a 3rd party disk imaging process?

I do not believe that I want to use Sysprep as All I'm trying to do is
increase the size of my primary Hard Drive. So I would be ghosting my
100gb drive to a 300gb drive and placing it back in the same machine,
then wiping out the original 100gb drive (or keep it as a backup)

So I'm not working with multiple computers, just the one PC.

Scott - Despite what Mr. Xu says (he *does* work for MS after all),
Ghost is just fine to use. I prefer Acronis TrueImage, but either one
of those programs when used correctly can be invaluable tools.

Malke

Scott Townsend

Thanks Malke,

We started using Ghost a while back and have been having pretty good success
with it for our Training facility. There we do use the Ghost Solution Suite
which deals with SysPrep and the ability to distribute an image to multiple
machines.

Thanks again,
Scott<-

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi All,

I do understand you may thought Ghost is a convenient utility but I think
I have to state our boundary that Microsoft will not support cloned or
ghosted systems that
were not deployed the supported Microsoft process. I'll appreciated your

Vincent said:
Hi All,

I do understand you may thought Ghost is a convenient utility but I
think I have to state our boundary that Microsoft will not support
cloned or ghosted systems that
were not deployed the supported Microsoft process. I'll appreciated
your understanding.

Oh, and MS doesn't work with Dell or HP or Sony or their large corporate
clients who routinely image all new machines? I think you are incorrect
here. In any case, what possible support would the OP be getting from
MS anyway?

I'm really not sure why you post in the groups since you rarely offer
any real tech support. Most of the time you just post to say you agree
with the tech support provided by one of the MVP's. Now you're actively
posting something that could frighten end users away from some very
useful tools.

Malke

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Malke ,

Actually I provided suggestions in lots of thread and I'm sorry you didn't
see them. I jump into the thread which MVPs provided correct suggestions is
because I want to state Microsoft is monitoring this thread and the
customer can come back if they still have questions. It is my
responsibility. Thanks.

Regarding the Ghost issue,I have stated again and again, it is related to
our support boundaries. I'm sorry if it makes you feel I want to shuffle
off my responsibility. However, I'll appreciate your understanding.

Have a good day.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Sophie Tan [MSFT]

Dear Scott & Malke,

This is Sophie from Microsoft Partner support group and I am the Tech Lead
of Windows newsgroups. Vincent discussed with me on the issue and I
reviewed the whole issue thread carefully.

I am sorry for the confusion in our replies. Actually, you can use the
Ghost for image clone, especially for few machines. Vincent just reminders
that Microsoft will not support cloned or ghosted systems that were not
deployed by System Preparation Tool. However, if you follow the process in
the article below, we do provide support.

298491 How To Use the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep.exe) to Perform Disk
Duplication

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;298491

302577 How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of
Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302577

828287 Unsupported Sysprep scenarios

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;828287

For Malke's concern on the support service, I am really sorry for that. We
are looking at continual improvement, and it's this kind of feedback that
let us know what we can do better for the community. If there is any posts
you feel we can do better, please feel free to let us know by sending email
to me. (please remove "online" from my email address here)

If there is any question, please feel free to reply. Thank you very much.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Sophie Tan, MCSE 2000
Partner Newsgroup Technical Lead
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
break/fix issues and simple how to questions.

We also love to hear your product feedback!
Let us know what you think by posting
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
We look forward to hearing from you!