Case Fan Replacement Issue

Reaction score
I replaced a case fan in a HP desktop with a generic fan. Even though the fan works I still get a notice that there is a case fan failure. The HP fan was 12V and 0.024 Amp Draw and I replace it with a 12V and 0.054 Amp Draw. Is the problem that the AMp draw is not the same is what is causing the notice that the case fan has failed and go to F2 to by pass. How can I stop the notice or should I replace the HP fan with an exact spec fan as the one that was removed.

Reaction score
The fan you replaced the original with did it have three wires on the connector?

Red, White or Black and Yellow

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The original HP fan probably had three wires and plugged into the motherboard. Two of those wires would have been for the 12 volts to power the fan and the third wire would be for the computer to monitor the fan.

It's likely the fan you fitted doesn't have a sensor capability, hence the message. As long as the fan is working you can safely ignore the message, annoying as it may be.

You may be able to disable the fan speeed monitoring in the computer's BIOS or possibly in any HP computer information/monitoring software.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
is it press F1 to enter the BIOS, I forget, but enter the BIOS anyway, don't do anything, just save & exit.

:user:

Ask a Question