Can't right click on email in Outlook 2003

C

cailo7

Hi,

I am unable to right click on any email in any folder in outlook 2003.
It was working previously and I have changed nothing but all of a
sudden I cannot right click on emails. This is very frustrating! I am
able to right click everywhere else, folders, toolbar etc. Has anyone
ever had this issue before? I have reinstalled outlook and still have
the same issue. There is obviously something in the registry that's
causing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Reaction score
It's probably too late to help cailo7 with his/her problem, but to help others who are having this problem...

It is possible that the inability to right-click on emails is caused by the frmcache.dat file being corrupt. You should find this file in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms.

To resolve this issue, first ensure that Outlook 2003 is not running, then delete the frmcache.dat file and restart Outlook. Outlook would create a new instance of the frmcache.dat file and your right-click may start working again.

I hope this work.

Reaction score
Had the same problem...on both our machines. Tried renaming normal.dot, tried the frmcache.dat fix, tried creating a new profile and tried uninstalling/reinstalling office - no change. Finally uninstalled Office completely and went registry hunting for leftover 'outlook' keys. Deleted a bunch, re-installed office and bingo...it worked. I likely deleted more than I had to but pretty sure the ones that did it were.
HKLM\Software\wow6432node\microsoft\office
HKCU\Software\microsoft\office
HKUser\s-???\Microsoft\office

The last one the ??? will likely differ from machine to machine but every one is a key called 'Office' with an 11.0 key under it (11.0 is office 2003). For each one, I deleted the whole 'Office' key and everything under it.

Hope this helps someone else who is totally stuck when the other fixes don't work.

Token warning - if you do this, you are deleting things from the registry, delete the wrong thing and you may end up crashing the system and doing a full reload.

Ask a Question