Word cant open word, powerpoint etc

Reaction score
Hi am new to this dont know if anyone can help. We have had pc for around 3 years and recently it has stopped opening word 2003 and powerpoint. Our system is xp and I have downloaded from microsoft site things to fix it but nothing seems to work. Even paid for a registry cleaner but although it seemed to improve some aspects of pc it hasn't helped the problems with word documents or powerpoint. Driving us mental have spent best part of a week on websites looking for help. Not very pc literate but will have a go if directions are suitable for a 2 year old. Thanks, Hazy.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try this ...

Go to Add and Remove Programs, single click on the entry for Microsoft Office
Click the button Change
You should now see several choices ... I would try Repair first.

You may need the CD to hand.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Resolved! Office programs fail to open.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I agonized for five days before I finally found the fix. I tried everything I could think of at the time and everything suggested on the internet forums. I ran every registry repair software I could find, every malware, antivirus I could get my hands on. Removed and reinstalled Office and a host of other things.

The Microsoft company tech people were the least helpful; the only thing they know how to do is insult you.

This is what worked for me:

• go to RUN from your start button
  • in the field type command
  • A black popup window will appear
  • at the prompt (flashing | ) type in cd\
  • this will take you to your root directory for the c drive
  • At the c:\> prompt type bcdedit.exe /set nx OptOut
  • Close all open windows
  • Reboot your computer
  • Try to open your Office application again
  • Don’t freak out when you get that same “do you want to run in safe mode?” Popup again.
  • answer yes
  • If the application opens – close down office
  • reopen the office application again - it should now open normally
This worked for me; I sure hope it fixes your concern too!

Professor William Kibbe

Austin Community College

Austin Texas

Ask a Question