Protecting powerpoint query

Reaction score
hi
i have spent hours putting together various PowerPoint presentations for work - i am a teacher - whilst i want others to be able to enjoy what i do i do not want them to be able to edit it and/or save a copy to their own flashdrive etc...is this possible? i have tried to do it through the protect presentation tab but i do not have digital rights management

thanks in advance for any help

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Which options have you tried through Protect Presentation? 'Mark as final' should do what you're looking for, but it sounds like your employer may have implemented their own protections. If you are an employee and have created this work as part of your employment duties using your employer's resources, then you may find that you do not own the intellectual property anyway (hence why your employer has tried to protect the files).

In the meantime, you could save the presentation as a slideshow (ie .ppsx instead of .pptx). When you open it, it will start playing the slideshow automatically. It can be edited by someone who knows what they're doing, but I imagine most people wouldn't know how to do that. Might be a good workaround here.

Reaction score
hi,
thanks for your reply.

yes i am an employee but i designed and made the powerpoint presentations at home and in my own time for the benefit of the children in my class (I am a teacher)

i have put in place the 'password to modify' with a password that nobody could guess and also saved it as a slideshow but it can still be saved to someone elses flashdrive etc.

what i want to do is try to find a way that it cannot be saved or edited....i.e it can be played as a slideshow but nothing else!!

hope that makes sense
Rachael

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
From a legal point of view it may not matter that you did it in your own time; if you did the work in connection with your job that may be enough for the IP to belong to your employer, let alone the fact that you used their software. That's presumably why they did not allow you to change the digital rights.

You could check the terms of your employment contract, but it may not explicitly state who owns the IP. There is no way to make it so that the file cannot be copied unfortunately. If there was there would be no piracy! ;)

More info here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ownership-of-copyright-works

Ask a Question