cant open my laptop please helpppppp

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm going crazy trying to open up my EI systems laptop! I have taken off every screw i can see, the screen, power on cover etc... and most of the sides of the cover have come apart however there is something stopping it from being completely removed which seems to be beneath the keys?? are the keys meant to come off to possibly reveal more screws underneath?? its a damn nightmare...

i did read a thread from gingerninja about a year ago who said the keyboard was able to come off but not sure how to do this??

the reason i am doing this is because the ac power socket has become faulty and does not power/charge the machine anymore... i know this may be a stupid question but are there battery chargers you can buy to power up laptop batteries externally so if i cant fix my ac power plug at least i can use my machine with batteries only??

all help would be most greatful... very impressed with this site!

thanks

tim

Reaction score
Hi Tim, are you new to taking Laptops apart?

Most keyboards should be able to be prised open, but if you dont know what your doing then take it to an expert who will do a proper job without wrecking the laptop!

Reaction score
feckit said:
Hi Tim, are you new to taking Laptops apart?

Most keyboards should be able to be prised open, but if you dont know what your doing then take it to an expert who will do a proper job without wrecking the laptop!

yeah i am pretty new to this, just annoys me that the part to fix it will prob cost about 60p and to fix the problem at the computer repair shop will cost me more than the system is worth??

do i give in and buy a new one for £350
carry on and try to take it apart
sell it for spares?? (bearing in mind i cannot wipe the hard drive as i have no power)

only had the laptop a year too... not happy!!

Reaction score
Suggest you invest in Upgrading & Repairing Laptops by Scott Mueller either from your local Library or buy it from someone like play.com or Amazon, it will help you to read this.

Or buy a copy of Micro Mart out on Thursdays from all good newsagents, plenty of adverts for cheap laptop repairers.

You could without the right knowledge do more harm than good!!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you looked for an on-line manual ???
user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Laptops are a law unto themselves when it comes to taking them apart and unless you have a degree in engineering or are familiar with the model, it can be a very awkward task.

And why oh why do they always put the DC socket soldered PCB connections in the most innaccesible place?

I have given up with laptops before and I used to repair electronic and audio visual goods for a living.

And no, you generally can't buy external laptop battery chargers, you didn't think they'd make it that easy did you?

You'll see if you look at the battery it probably won't have just two connectors but several and usually aligned in an odd array. This is for two reasons - current monitoring and sensing and regulated charging and to thwart you in your attempts to bypass mr laptop repair man.

Unless you know what you're doing, you get lucky and it pops apart, I'd give up.

One last thing, assuming you did manage to desolder and remove the DC socket, have you any idea where you're going to buy a replacement? Cos it won't be an off the shelf item, oh no, it ain't that easy.

Sorry, but that's how it is.

Which is also one of the many reasons I don't own a laptop....

Ask a Question