can't not convert a disk to a dynamic one

totomaster

Hi

After that I've done a "Ghost" I can't not convert the disk to a dynamic
one. I don'T have the option if I right click on the disk in disk
management. The partition have 27 gb of free space.

The systems have windows xp sp2

why ?

thanks

Ghostrider

totomaster said:
Hi

After that I've done a "Ghost" I can't not convert the disk to a dynamic
one. I don'T have the option if I right click on the disk in disk
management. The partition have 27 gb of free space.

The systems have windows xp sp2

why ?

thanks

IIRC, the preparation for adding a dynamic partition is that the
new partition has to be initially created and formatted. It cannot
start off as just "free space". But if the intent is to add more
space to an existing partition, then a third-party utility must be
used.

John Wunderlich

Hi

After that I've done a "Ghost" I can't not convert the disk to a
dynamic one. I don'T have the option if I right click on the disk
in disk management. The partition have 27 gb of free space.

The systems have windows xp sp2

why ?

thanks

What kind of computer do you have and do you have XP Home Edition?
According to:

"How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044>

"...Dynamic disks are not supported on portable computers or Microsoft
Windows XP Home Edition."

HTH,
John

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, please first check if you are using Windows XP Home Edition
or a laptop. If so, it is not supported convert.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: Re: can't not convert a disk to a dynamic one
| From: John Wunderlich <[email protected]>
| Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:33:02 GMT

| |
| > Hi
| >
| > After that I've done a "Ghost" I can't not convert the disk to a
| > dynamic one. I don'T have the option if I right click on the disk
| > in disk management. The partition have 27 gb of free space.
| >
| > The systems have windows xp sp2
| >
| > why ?
| >
| > thanks
| >

| What kind of computer do you have and do you have XP Home Edition?
| According to:
|
| "How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional"
| <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044>
|
| "...Dynamic disks are not supported on portable computers or Microsoft
| Windows XP Home Edition."
|
| HTH,
| John

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

If you have any updates or need any further assistance on this issue,
please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:48:14 GMT
| Subject: Re: can't not convert a disk to a dynamic one
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hello,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| From your post, please first check if you are using Windows XP Home
Edition
| or a laptop. If so, it is not supported convert.
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| | Subject: Re: can't not convert a disk to a dynamic one
| | From: John Wunderlich <[email protected]>
| | Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:33:02 GMT

0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca

..giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!news2.google.com!news1.g

oogle.com!newsfeed2.dallas1.level3.net!news.level3.com!bos-service1.raytheon
| .com!dfw-service2.ext.ray.com.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
| |
| | | |
| | > Hi
| | >
| | > After that I've done a "Ghost" I can't not convert the disk to a
| | > dynamic one. I don'T have the option if I right click on the disk
| | > in disk management. The partition have 27 gb of free space.
| | >
| | > The systems have windows xp sp2
| | >
| | > why ?
| | >
| | > thanks

| |
| | What kind of computer do you have and do you have XP Home Edition?
| | According to:
| |
| | "How To Convert to Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP Professional"
| | <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044>
| |
| | "...Dynamic disks are not supported on portable computers or Microsoft
| | Windows XP Home Edition."
| |
| | HTH,
| | John