Can't delete some history

I have some stubborn history that refuses to get deleted, even though I have ran the Clear History, Delete Files and Delete Cookies routine several times. They come up with autofill when typing a URL. There's also some monkey business with my homepage getting changed without my permission. Any ideas?

JW Birdsong

Best place to start would be to get and run AdAware & Spybot S&D(links
below) After you install these make sure to find the option in each to
update,,should ALWAYS be done prior to running programs of this nature..
Adaware------> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Spybot (app)--------------> http://security.kolla.de/
Spybot (tutorial)------>
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=tutorial

More "nasty-ware" info here------> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

HTH
Jack

tnl1 said:
I have some stubborn history that refuses to get deleted, even though I
have ran the Clear History, Delete Files and Delete Cookies routine several
times. They come up with autofill when typing a URL. There's also some
monkey business with my homepage getting changed without my permission. Any
ideas?

Rich/rerat

tnl1,
To clear the URL history in your address bar, in XP, you will need to clear your Recent Document list. This will also clear the commands that you have ran, using the RUN command.

Right-click the Taskbar> Properties> StartMenu tab> Customize button> Advance tab> Recent Document section (near the bottom of the tab)> Clear list button.

If you are using the Classic view in XP> Same as above>After pressing Customize button> Press the CLEAR list button.

If you run W98 (it might be true for WinME also), right click the START button or a Space in the Quick Launch section, I can't remember > Properties> Search through the different tabs, since I have don't of that OS in front of me> and there should be something like Clear Recent Documents there, too.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

tnl1 said:
I have some stubborn history that refuses to get deleted, even though I
have ran the Clear History, Delete Files and Delete Cookies routine several
times. They come up with autofill when typing a URL. There's also some
monkey business with my homepage getting changed without my permission. Any
ideas?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Homepage problem:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

History problem:
If you've been clearing History and TIF properly (from Internet Options>
General) and that's not working, you have a corrupted History folder.

Delete the damaged History folder- a new one will be created on restart.
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Free History Eraser from
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm will delete the
History folder in Windows 9x,2K, XP.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.