Can't burn to disc?????????

G

Hi,
Suddenly my CD writer won't read or write, It shows the disc going in (pointer is holding disc) but won't 'prompt for choice'. When I compile a list to burn in 'Nero' or 'Media Player' it won't burn.
I've just recovered my comp from some sort of virus (Norton sorted it).
I'm running Win XP home with Samsung CD-writer. Have 80G HD and 256 RAM.
This is error message from WMP 9
0xC00D11C9: Cannot copy files to recordable disc
Windows Media Player cannot copy the files to the recordable disc. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

The CD-R or CD-RW drive is busy. Wait for the drive to complete its current operation, and then try again.
The CD-R or CD-RW drive is not compatible. Verify that the drive is connected properly and that you have installed the latest device drivers, and then try again.
To verify that the drive is compatible and to download the latest device drivers, see the Windows Hardware Compatibility List at the Microsoft Web site.

Error ID = 0xC00D11C9, Condition ID = 0x00000000
Web Help

Please help I'm 72 and was doing fine till this happened.
Thank you,
'Old newcomer.'

G

C00D11C9: Cannot copy files to recordable disc
Windows Media Player cannot copy the files to the recordable disc. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:
The CD-R or CD-RW drive is busy. Wait for the drive to complete its current operation, and then try again.
The CD-R or CD-RW drive is not compatible. Verify that the drive is connected properly and that you have installed the latest device drivers, and then try again.
To verify that the drive is compatible and to download the latest device drivers, see the Windows Hardware Compatibility List at the Microsoft Web site.

G

Hi Byte, thanks for the reply. I've already done what you suggested but no joy. The drivers show up fine in device manager(It's my mothers comp and is only 5 months old.) I tried updating but the reply was," can't find anything better than existing."
The CD drive draw will accept any disc, cd-r, cd-rw, cd-rom, but won't read/play them, even when forced.
TIA

G

Yes, all good advice, but already been there. Thanks anyway.
As I explained in earlier post, the problem is with the PC belonging to my 72 year old mother. The latest news is that mother got on to PC World, where she bought the PC and they had a go at some sort of 'Recovery'. The upshot of all that, is the pc is now 'dead in the water' and she can't get in to recover any data she needs, (photo's from a recent holiday of a lifetime to Australia, account details etc,etc.)
The techy said he'd have to wipe everything, reformat and reinstall the OS. He never askes if she had backups before he started. What a 'blurt', I could have done that myself !!!
A lesson to any not too 'savvy' computer users out there, PC World techies are not up to grade.
J.J.

G

Hi byte..I am butting in on this post but what if there is no 'enable cd recording on this device" the only options I have are...general, autoplay, and general...Also when I click file in wmp9 my only in black is..copy to portable device...copy from audio cd and copy to audio cd is in grey...I was able to burn and audio and pics until about a month ago and some how buggered my cd rom up..so I reinstalled a new D:drive and have still been having major problems.
thank you for trying figure out what the heck I am trying to say.
wendy

G

I am just butting in with a possible cause but no solution as I am in the same boat. When you click on a CD drive and click on properties, it shows the disk space full with no available space. I have been told that's the problem, but no one has the solution! If anyone out there can help...

Ask a Question