Canon Pixma MP830 runs slower on refilled cartridges?

electron

I have been successfully refilling my Canon i850 tanks with Formulabs
ink from www.alotofthings.com for three years now (using the same ink
that is now three years old!). In any event I am planning on getting
a Pixma MP830 and would like to refill the Canon tanks with the
appropriate Formulabs ink for this printer. I've looked at the
alotofthings site and I found this warning:

Canon PIXMA iP4200, iP5200, iP5200R, iP6600D, MP500, MP800 & MP950
will run slower if using refilled cartridges according to Canon.
<P>CLI-8 based printers will run slower using refilled cartridges.</P>
<P>According to Canon technical support the following printers which
use CLI-8 ink tanks will perform slower when printing multi-page
documents on refilled cartridges:</P>
<P>Canon PIXMA iP4200, iP5200, iP5200R, iP6600D, MP500, MP800,
MP950.</P>
<P>What is not mentioned by Canon is that this also occurs on new
third party replacement cartridges if those cartridges are using Canon
chips on them. (Such as the G&amp;G CLI-8 replacements without
chip)</P>
<P>According to Canon technical support the print speed will recover
once you have remove and reset the ink tank in the printer. In other
words... Once you buy another one of their cartridges. </P>

The MP830 is not specifically mentioned, but the 800 is. In any event
I would be interested in comments about this issue from anyone who
actually has the Pixma MP830 model and actually has refilled Canon
cartridges for that model. I don't mean to be snotty here, but I'm
interested in ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with this model and refilled Canon
tanks, not experience with other models or theories about refilling.

Also, any hints about refilling Canon tanks for this printer would be
appreciated from those with actual experience.

electron

Tony

electron said:
[...]

Are you able to provide a link to the information you got from Canon?
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Tony

electron said:
The link is from alotofthings, not Canon, but they claim to be quoting
Canon tech service:
http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/article.php?category_id=8&article_id=202&page=

Thanks
If what they say is correct then Canon are deliberately slowing down the
printer when the printer detects a refilled cartridge since the cartrdige
itself cannot slow down the printer.
If that is indeed the case then this is, in my opinion, a questionable practice.

Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

DanG

Tony said:
Thanks
If what they say is correct then Canon are deliberately slowing down the
printer when the printer detects a refilled cartridge since the cartrdige
itself cannot slow down the printer.
If that is indeed the case then this is, in my opinion, a questionable
practice.

Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

My take on this was that the slowdown, if any, was due to having bypassed
the low ink warning system, which is required if re-filling or using
compatibles. More of an indirect thing than deliberate.

But it would be a pretty easy thing to check out and verify. Nobody has yet
reported any real issues because of it, or any slow-downs for that matter.

Tony

DanG said:
My take on this was that the slowdown, if any, was due to having bypassed
the low ink warning system, which is required if re-filling or using
compatibles. More of an indirect thing than deliberate.

But it would be a pretty easy thing to check out and verify. Nobody has yet
reported any real issues because of it, or any slow-downs for that matter.

I think we are saying the same thing - I am sure this results (assuming the
claim is valid) from the printer detecting a refilled or compatible cartridge
(as posted by the chip). The issue for me is what possible justification can a
manufacturer have for slowing down a printer because a non OEM or refilled
cartridge is present?
I also have not seen any reports that support the claim that the printer slows
down, and the printers in this range that we see on a weekly basis seem to
print at full speed whether the owner has new OEM cartridges or refills
installed. So until I see some evidence that this claim (by alotofthings) is in
fact valid I guess I won't worry too much.
Tony

electron

I think we are saying the same thing - I am sure this results (assuming the
claim is valid) from the printer detecting a refilled or compatible cartridge
(as posted by the chip). The issue for me is what possible justification can a
manufacturer have for slowing down a printer because a non OEM or refilled
cartridge is present?
I also have not seen any reports that support the claim that the printer slows
down, and the printers in this range that we see on a weekly basis seem to
print at full speed whether the owner has new OEM cartridges or refills
installed. So until I see some evidence that this claim (by alotofthings) is in
fact valid I guess I won't worry too much.
Tony

Thanks for the feedback. This was the first potential problem I read
about with regard to this printer. I figured that, say, a 33%
slowdown would not really trouble me since the printer seems pretty
fast based on the specs (this printer would be for personal, not
business, use). On the other hand, further research (after I posted
the question in this group) indicates that the printer uses the
photoblack ink to print text when printing in two-sided (duplex) mode.
I frequently print text in "manual duplex mode" (need to reinsert the
pages that have been printed on the first side) on my i850 and I would
not be happy with dye-based ink in text mode. So, I guess I'll
continue using my i850 and forget about the MP830. Thanks again for
the feedback.
electron

Burt

electron said:
Thanks for the feedback. This was the first potential problem I read
about with regard to this printer. I figured that, say, a 33%
slowdown would not really trouble me since the printer seems pretty
fast based on the specs (this printer would be for personal, not
business, use). On the other hand, further research (after I posted
the question in this group) indicates that the printer uses the
photoblack ink to print text when printing in two-sided (duplex) mode.
I frequently print text in "manual duplex mode" (need to reinsert the
pages that have been printed on the first side) on my i850 and I would
not be happy with dye-based ink in text mode. So, I guess I'll
continue using my i850 and forget about the MP830. Thanks again for
the feedback.
electron

Anyone who might be concerned about slow throughput would not use the
automatic duplexing mode of the Canon printers (ip4000, 4200, 5000, etc.)
While it is a very clever "paper shuffle" to turn the paper over and print
the second page, it is extremely slow.

measekite

electron said:
I have been successfully refilling my Canon i850 tanks with Formulabs
ink from www.alotofthings.com for three years now (using the same ink
that is now three years old!). In any event I am planning on getting
a Pixma MP830 and would like to refill the Canon tanks with the
appropriate Formulabs ink for this printer. I've looked at the
alotofthings site and I found this warning:

ha ha ha not he he he
Canon PIXMA iP4200, iP5200, iP5200R, iP6600D, MP500, MP800 & MP950
will run slower if using refilled cartridges according to Canon.
Right on
<P>CLI-8 based printers will run slower using refilled cartridges.</P>
<P>According to Canon technical support the following printers which
use CLI-8 ink tanks will perform slower when printing multi-page
documents on refilled cartridges:</P>
<P>Canon PIXMA iP4200, iP5200, iP5200R, iP6600D, MP500, MP800,
MP950.</P>
<P>What is not mentioned by Canon is that this also occurs on new
third party replacement cartridges if those cartridges are using Canon
chips on them. (Such as the G&amp;G CLI-8 replacements without
chip)</P>
super
<P>According to Canon technical support the print speed will recover
once you have remove and reset the ink tank in the printer. In other
words... Once you buy another one of their cartridges. </P>
as it should be
The MP830 is not specifically mentioned, but the 800 is. In any event
I would be interested in comments about this issue from anyone who
actually has the Pixma MP830 model and actually has refilled Canon
cartridges for that model. I don't mean to be snotty here, but I'm
interested in ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with this model and refilled Canon
tanks, not experience with other models or theories about refilling.

Also, any hints about refilling Canon tanks for this printer would be
appreciated from those with actual experience.
yeah. For best results alway use genuine Canon ink. Better persistence
against fading and higher quality results.

measekite

electron wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:57:32 -0500, Tony &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:

electron &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:

I have been successfully refilling my Canon i850 tanks with Formulabs ink from www.alotofthings.com for three years now (using the same ink that is now three years old!). In any event I am planning on getting a Pixma MP830 and would like to refill the Canon tanks with the appropriate Formulabs ink for this printer. I've looked at the alotofthings site and I found this warning: Canon PIXMA iP4200, iP5200, iP5200R, iP6600D, MP500, MP800 &amp; MP950 will run slower if using refilled cartridges according to Canon. &lt;P&gt;CLI-8 based printers will run slower using refilled cartridges.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;According to Canon technical support the following printers which use CLI-8 ink tanks will perform slower when printing multi-page documents on refilled cartridges:&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Canon PIXMA iP4200, iP5200, iP5200R, iP6600D, MP500, MP800, MP950.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;What is not mentioned by Canon is that this also occurs on new third party replacement cartridges if those cartridges are using Canon chips on them. (Such as the G&amp;amp;G CLI-8 replacements without chip)&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;According to Canon technical support the print speed will recover once you have remove and reset the ink tank in the printer. In other words... Once you buy another one of their cartridges. &lt;/P&gt; The MP830 is not specifically mentioned, but the 800 is. In any event I would be interested in comments about this issue from anyone who actually has the Pixma MP830 model and actually has refilled Canon cartridges for that model. I don't mean to be snotty here, but I'm interested in ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with this model and refilled Canon tanks, not experience with other models or theories about refilling. Also, any hints about refilling Canon tanks for this printer would be appreciated from those with actual experience. electron

Are you able to provide a link to the information you got from Canon? Tony MS MVP Printing/Imaging

The link is from alotofthings, not Canon, but they claim to be quoting Canon tech service:

oh
snip
page=

measekite

Tony wrote:

[...]

Smart

Tony wrote:

"DanG" &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:

"Tony" &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote in message news:part1of1.1.Qo5t1&gt;

Thanks If what they say is correct then Canon are deliberately slowing down the printer when the printer detects a refilled cartridge since the cartrdige itself cannot slow down the printer. If that is indeed the case then this is, in my opinion, a questionable practice. Tony MS MVP Printing/Imaging

My take on this was that the slowdown, if any, was due to having bypassed the low ink warning system, which is required if re-filling or using compatibles. More of an indirect thing than deliberate. But it would be a pretty easy thing to check out and verify. Nobody has yet reported any real issues because of it, or any slow-downs for that matter.

I think we are saying the same thing - I am sure this results (assuming the claim is valid) from the printer detecting a refilled or compatible cartridge

It slows down because it feels like throwing up