Canon Pixma MP610?

Tom

I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper feed
problems no more HP for me.
I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is text
and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking at the
Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I believe it uses
CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and another black
cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill the canon
cartridges? If so, which refill ink do I use? Aren't the newer inkjet
printers using a different ink? Any comments for Canon mp 610 inkjet users
are most welcome. What should I do to stop the inkjet cartridges from
clogging up I don't print that much?

Thanks,

Tom

Burt

Tom said:
I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper feed
problems no more HP for me.
I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is
text and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking at
the Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I believe
it uses CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and another
black cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill the
canon cartridges? If so, which refill ink do I use? Aren't the newer
inkjet printers using a different ink? Any comments for Canon mp 610
inkjet users are most welcome. What should I do to stop the inkjet
cartridges from clogging up I don't print that much?

Thanks,

Tom
CLi-8 and PGI-5 cartridges can be refilled easily. Hobbicolors, Precision
Colors, MIS, and Alotofthings are reputable vendors that have ink for these
carts. With each cart that you refill you will get a nag screen that you
are at risk of losing your warranty. You can override it and continue
printing. Canon plays a dirty trick on you at that point and disables the
ink level monitor, so you will have to monitor it visually. No problem as
the carts are clear and removing them all, one at a time, to check the level
takes less than 30 seconds. When you consider that two sets of refills will
save you the cost of a replacement printer, the warranty has little value.
See if you can scounge up a set of empty carts, purge them (info on the
Nifty stuff forum), and refill them to create a spare set so you can
replace a nearly empty one in the printer and refill at your leasure. I
went to a Staples store where they give customers a credit for turning in
certain brand empty carts. The don't refund for Canon carts, but some
customers throw them into the bin anyway. I asked the manager for the empty
canon carts as they weren't part of their return credit policy and she gave
me almost 100 carts. Most were BCI-6, but there were a dozen CLI-8's as
well.

The other issue, however, is more critical. All inkjet printheads can clog
if not used somewhat frequently. With Canon OEM ink carts costing up to $14
per cart, many people are reluctant to print very much. With refill inks
that reduce the price of a refilled cart to about $1 US you should have no
reluctance to print at least one color photo or full color print twice a
week. In addition, if you have access to a Costco store you can use their
Kirkland glossy photo paper which prints color photos beautifully and is
very inexpensive. 4x6 paper is aoburt $14 for a box of 300 , and a 125 box
of 8.5x11 size is about $19.

You will get lots of information on refilling these carts (same as bci-6 and
bci-3ebk), purging them when they start to get some dried ink in the sponge
area, plus tips and tricks on the Nifty stuff forum. Another tip - don't
let the reservoir part of the cart get more than 80% empty before refilling.
You will get more refills this way prior to purging the cart of dried ink,
and you will avoid running a cart dry and damaging the printhead.

Above all, disregard the posts that inevitably follow advice on aftermarket
inks by our resident troll, Measekite. He is the international distributor
of misinformation on all things non-OEM!
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

Tom

Tom said:
I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper feed
problems no more HP for me.
I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is
text and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking at
the Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I believe
it uses CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and another
black cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill the
canon cartridges? If so, which refill ink do I use? Aren't the newer
inkjet printers using a different ink? Any comments for Canon mp 610
inkjet users are most welcome. What should I do to stop the inkjet
cartridges from clogging up I don't print that much?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks for the useful information I just ordered the 610 from Amazon.

Tom

measekite

Tom said:
I'm looking for a good printer after the last two HP inkjet had paper feed
problems no more HP for me.
I only need printing and scanning no fax capability. Most printing is text
and Google maps. My printing needs are not that much. I'm looking at the
Canon Pixma MP610 which gets very good reviews on Amazon. I believe it uses
CLi-8 inkjet cartridges four color including black and another black
cartridge for text printing. . My concern is can I refill the canon
cartridges?
You really will not save any money since OEM ink is much better. Unless
you print a great deal you really will not spend less either. It is a
messy waste of time.
If so, which refill ink do I use?
Nobody really knows what they are getting since the vendors will not
tell them. One may even be surprised to find that many of the vendors
may be selling the same mfg under different names.
Aren't the newer inkjet
printers using a different ink?
Yes. The newer Canon printers are using a special ink that is more fade
resistant.
Any comments for Canon mp 610 inkjet users
are most welcome.
That technology is so old you should not even consider it. The printer
does not have the nice features of the new Canon printers.

measekite

Burt wrote:

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Y1kFj.198$Pc2.125@trndny06...

[...]

I did not like alutithings when i called them.  hobvbicolors and mis refused to tell me what they are selling.  do not know about the other but many go under different names and sell the same stuff.

I think Photographers who spend a lot on cameras and lenses want to get the best results.  Most use wide format printers with OEM ink.  The ones that use a standard format printer probably would like a wide format printer.  Most want to get good size enlargements.  While I like Canon I would say that most of the semi pro or pro photographers use Epson.

With each cart that you refill you will get a nag screen that you are at risk of losing your warranty.

Specifically you will loose your warranty if the crap ink was the cause of the printer needing repair.

You can override it and continue printing. Canon plays a dirty trick on you at that point and disables the ink level monitor,

That is not a dirty trick at all.  They do not have to cater to the crap ink vendors.

so you will have to monitor it visually. No problem as the carts are clear and removing them all, one at a time, to check the level takes less than 30 seconds.

Now that is a real pain.  If you print a lot you need to do it frequently and if you do not print a lot you have no reason not to use the better OEM ink.

When you consider that two sets of refills will save you the cost of a replacement printer, the warranty has little value.

No true.  He assumes you just use a point and shoot and do not have a wide format printer.

See if you can scounge up a set of empty carts, purge them (info on the Nifty stuff forum),

That his is club where at one time he was the moderator.  Very biased.
snip

The other issue, however, is more critical. All inkjet printheads can clog if not used somewhat frequently. With Canon OEM ink carts costing up to $14 per cart, many people are reluctant to print very much. With refill inks that reduce the price of a refilled cart to about $1 US you should have no reluctance to print at least one color photo or full color print twice a week. In addition, if you have access to a Costco store you can use their Kirkland glossy photo paper which prints color photos beautifully and is very inexpensive. 4x6 paper is aoburt $14 for a box of 300 , and a 125 box of 8.5x11 size is about $19.

That is not true.  I only print the good photos with my Canon.  The business stuff I print with my HP.  I have never had a clog in either printer.  I have had these printers for over 4 years.  I use only OEM ink.

You will get lots of information on refilling these carts (same as bci-6 and bci-3ebk), purging them when they start to get some dried ink in the sponge area, plus tips and tricks on the Nifty stuff forum.

Again look who he is touting

Another tip - don't let the reservoir part of the cart get more than 80% empty before refilling. You will get more refills this way prior to purging the cart of dried ink, and you will avoid running a cart dry and damaging the printhead.

snip

Tom

DanG said:
It's an excellent MF printer, top quality results. All Canon ink tanks use
chips, so if you want to refill you will need to disable the ink level
monitoring. There's lots of info available from the various ink sellers on
how this is done. There's nothing you need to do to prevent clogging
except use the printer once in a while. All tanks are purged in a cleaning
cycle.

I set up thr printer, aligned the printer heads and scanned a document.
I don't see an option in the software to scan for software updates.
Do I do that manually at the Canon site or am I missing something?
BTW, the Canon is much higher quality construction than any HP inkjet I've
seen.

Tom