Cannot use System Restore - Blank screen

Jesse

Whenever I start System Restore now, it will show the window at the proper
size as it once was (when it was working) but it will be a blank window with
a greyed out scroll bar.
I can even right click on the white blank space and see properties and 'view
code' as if it's a webpage or something.

I could be wrong, but I used TweakXP to completely remove IE from my system,
and I don't remember if it was working after I had done that or not. I'm
quite sure it was.
Also, I have tried downloading IE full install,and it never seems to be able
to connect. Plus I've even gotten the entire install files locally on my
harddrive and it sitll won't install. Giving me an error. So unfortunately,
I wasn't able to test if my IE theory is correct, because I can't reinstall
it. And please don't suggest reinstalling my operating system, I'd prefer
to find a better solution than that.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me with this, I would constantly
take advantage of setting Restore points, and no longer can...please help

- Jesse

Will Denny

Hi

Does the following article help:

"System Restore Tool Displays a Blank Calendar in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313853&Product=winxp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Jesse" <-> wrote in message |
| Whenever I start System Restore now, it will show the window at the proper
| size as it once was (when it was working) but it will be a blank window
with
| a greyed out scroll bar.
| I can even right click on the white blank space and see properties and
'view
| code' as if it's a webpage or something.
|
| I could be wrong, but I used TweakXP to completely remove IE from my
system,
| and I don't remember if it was working after I had done that or not. I'm
| quite sure it was.
| Also, I have tried downloading IE full install,and it never seems to be
able
| to connect. Plus I've even gotten the entire install files locally on my
| harddrive and it sitll won't install. Giving me an error. So
unfortunately,
| I wasn't able to test if my IE theory is correct, because I can't
reinstall
| it. And please don't suggest reinstalling my operating system, I'd prefer
| to find a better solution than that.
|
| I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me with this, I would
constantly
| take advantage of setting Restore points, and no longer can...please help
|
| - Jesse

Jesse

No, all the values on the registry there I have already checked when trying
to resolve this issue earlier.
As I said:
When I open System Restore *** it is a blank screen, nothing for system
restore is shown***
And I can right click on that white blank window and see properties, and
It even shows the code:

-------------------
****************
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="MSThemeCompatible" CONTENT="Yes">
<object id=ObjSystemRestore
classid="CLSID:fd589b7c-7ce0-11d3-b9e5-00c04f79e399"></object>
</HEAD>

<SCRIPT for=window event=onload>
<!--

ObjSystemRestore.CanNavigatePage = true ;
if ( screen.height > 540 ) {
ObjSystemRestore.SetFormSize( 770, 540 );
}
else {
ObjSystemRestore.SetFormSize( 620, 420 );
};
switch ( ObjSystemRestore.StartMode )
{
case 0 :
self.location="srui-main.htm";
break;
case 1 :
self.location="srui-success.htm";
break;
case 2 :
self.location="srui-fail.htm";
break;
case 3 :
self.location="srui-lowdisk.htm";
break;
case 4:
self.location="srui-interrupt.htm";
break;
}
-->
</SCRIPT>

<BODY>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------
***********

The WHITE BLANK screen is ALL i see when i Open System Restore
That code there, is what I see whne I click "VIEW SOURCE" on that white
blank window.

I'm being redudant here in HOPES that whoever replies, actually reads my
entire message and understands EXACTLY what I'm experiencing and can try to
help to the best of their ability/knowledge.

Thanks again,
- Jesse

Jesse

To further add:

I have right clicked on properties for the White Blank Screen that is shown
when I open System Restore

This is what it says as the Address(URL): res://rstrui.exe/start.htm

I have done a search on my computer, and there is a 'start.htm' in
C:\Documents and Settings\Jesse\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

This start.htm when I click properties on it, it shows:
view-source:res://rstrui.exe/start.htm

So obviously this is the correct start.htm

Again, please keep in mind I have completely removed IE from functioning or
even being detected on my XP system. I run Mozilla.
And as I said, I am experiencing errors when trying to install it. It says
it was unable to install all files, "please close all applications and try
again"
I have even tried running this local install version in Safe Mode, and it
does not work. The 'online installation' exe that MS has will never let me
connect to install,and I'm guessing it will give me the same errors.

I'm thinking perhaps not having IE is causing this to messup. And then that
would lead me to another issue of figuring out how to get IE back on my
system functioning, without having to reinstall my OS.

Thanks,
- Jesse Linden

Jesse

Please try to read the entire thread, and see how I've updated the
status of my situation.
If you really do feel like helping someone out, such as all you
self-motivated future Microsoft MVPs, then perhaps you can give an honest
effort in trying to help someone by reading their entire situation.
I really REALLY would appreciate it.
Please?

Thanks,
- Jesse

Tom

Jesse said:
Please try to read the entire thread, and see how I've updated the
status of my situation.
If you really do feel like helping someone out, such as all you
self-motivated future Microsoft MVPs, then perhaps you can give an honest
effort in trying to help someone by reading their entire situation.
I really REALLY would appreciate it.
Please?

Thanks,
- Jesse

Umm, what entire thread?

Making a Good Newsgroup Posts

BE Smart When you Post

Seeing your Post, and Getting Answers
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

Pauline Johnson

Please try to read the entire thread, and see how I've updated the
status of my situation.
If you really do feel like helping someone out, such as all you
self-motivated future Microsoft MVPs, then perhaps you can give an honest
effort in trying to help someone by reading their entire situation.
I really REALLY would appreciate it.

What thread?!?!?!

I have a client's computer with the same problem. The entire system restore screen comes up white, but only after the second launch attempt. This is true in all modes (safe mode at the command prompt for example). It started when the system crashed in the middle of a system restore operation. A number of other windows programs are also affected in the same way (the search assistant etc.). The unit takes a long time to boot, and I have noticed that a number of background services are stopped when they should not be.

In this case IE is there and fully functional.

I would like to find a solution that does not require re-installation, so anyone?