Cannot use address bar without http:// prefix

Ronnie Munro

I have IE 6.0 installed running windows xp.I have had no
problems for the last year. recently I cannot use the
address bar properly. Unless I type in fully http:///www.
etc then I cannot locate website. if I type www. etc
(without Http://) I just get page not found and the
address bar only shows C:\searchpage.html
On dropdown this shows various folders etc on the
computer not websites. It is possible this has occured
after having problems with spyware and subsequent removal.
Is there any way to get IE back to normal and update to
make safe?
Thank you
Ronnie
---------

Don Varnau

Ronnie,
Are you sure that you removed all of the malware? Did you run CWShredder,
Ad-aware and Spybot? Have you posted a HijackThis log to one of the forums?

HijackThis instructions and download:
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Forums:
http://forum.mvps.org/ Excellent help- low traffic. Visit
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 before posting the log.

http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://boards.cexx.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

Additional information at
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Don