Disable "http://" prefix

Ayush

I want to disable the default prefix http:// each time when i enter a url in Address
bar.

I know the Registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix >

but when i change it to blank and then enter a alias (Like acf), IE warns :
"Windows cannot find acf. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
To search click Start and Search"

I think It is because the address bar is same for Explorer and Internet Explorer so
it needs http:// prefix to know that the url is related to IE. Is there a way to
bypass that and tell that it is related to Browser so open my default browser.

Q.) WHY ?
A.) Because i use SlimBrowser (Uses IE engine) and i have lots of alias in that but
if enter alias in Address bar toolbar, it automatically adds http:// and then alias
cannot work..

} Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 ( Fully Updated )
} } Internet Explorer 6

Rob ^_^

Hi Ayush,
I would suggest you contact Slim Browser for suggestions to do what you want
to do. I think you have chosen the wrong track. Putting the http before and
the .com after the entered address bar url is controlled by a component of
IE called the search hook. There are some add-ins that hijack the search
hook (yahoo toolbar has its own search hook that it uses for web shortcuts)

My first suggestion is to check the value of the search hook engine in the
registry - HKCU\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchHook

Regards.

Ayush

Replied To{REPLY BELOW} :

| Hi Ayush,
| I would suggest you contact Slim Browser for suggestions to do what you want
| to do. I think you have chosen the wrong track.
Why, if i enter that in SlimB it is fine. If http:// is stopped, SlimB will
automatically intercept it as the alias and will open it.

|Putting the http before and
| the .com after the entered address bar url is controlled by a component of
| IE called the search hook. There are some add-ins that hijack the search
| hook (yahoo toolbar has its own search hook that it uses for web shortcuts)
|
| My first suggestion is to check the value of the search hook engine in the
| registry - HKCU\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchHook

Searched but not found this SearchHook

Rob ^_^

Hi Ayush,

Sorry I gave you the wrong registry path.(to slack to look it up)

It should be HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks

It should have only ONE clsid value in there {CFBFAE00-.....
Which should have its InProcServer32 shdocvw.dll (slim browser may have its
own hook)

- Make sure you have only one clsid value here. You can safely delete all
others here. Or download my registry fix at
http://www.iecustomizer.com/SearchHookFixDownlaod.htm

Don't forget to change your default prefix back to http://

Regards.

Ayush

It have only one classid that is
And a Default = (value not set)
{CFBFAE00-17A6....... =

There is nothing like shdocvw.dll or InProc....

and your Website Url gives a 404 Not Found Error.

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search - www.Google.com
Want to know about a term - http://en.wikipedia.org

Replied To :

| Hi Ayush,
|
| Sorry I gave you the wrong registry path.(to slack to look it up)
|
| It should be HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks
|
| It should have only ONE clsid value in there {CFBFAE00-.....
| Which should have its InProcServer32 shdocvw.dll (slim browser may have its
| own hook)
|
| - Make sure you have only one clsid value here. You can safely delete all
| others here. Or download my registry fix at
| http://www.iecustomizer.com/SearchHookFixDownlaod.htm
|
| Don't forget to change your default prefix back to http://
|
| Regards.
| "Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
| | >
| > Replied To{REPLY BELOW} :
| > -------------------------------------------------------------

| > | I would suggest you contact Slim Browser for suggestions to do what you
| > want
| > | to do. I think you have chosen the wrong track.
| > Why, if i enter that in SlimB it is fine. If http:// is stopped, SlimB
| > will
| > automatically intercept it as the alias and will open it.
| >
| > |Putting the http before and
| > | the .com after the entered address bar url is controlled by a component
| > of
| > | IE called the search hook. There are some add-ins that hijack the search
| > | hook (yahoo toolbar has its own search hook that it uses for web
| > shortcuts)
| > |
| > | My first suggestion is to check the value of the search hook engine in
| > the
| > | registry - HKCU\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchHook
| >

| > Searched but not found this SearchHook
| >

| > --
| > Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
| >
| > For any query, search - www.Google.com
| > Want to know about a term - http://en.wikipedia.org

Ayush

I spent over 10 minutes to see the difference in the URL's, then i fount that o and a
were wrong.

But as i said i have only 1 and i don't think that this is related to my prob.
I want that IE don't intercept the words and leave them as they are.

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search - www.Google.com
Want to know about a term - http://en.wikipedia.org

Replied To :

| Bad spelling by the looks of it.
| Rob said:
| http://www.iecustomizer.com/SearchHookFixDownlaod.htm
| Try:
| http://www.iecustomizer.com/SearchHookFixDownload.htm
|
| ...Alan
| --
| Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
| http://dts-l.org/index.htm
|

| On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:55:26 -0600, in
| microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, "Ayush"
| <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote:
|

| >and your Website Url gives a 404 Not Found Error.
| >

| >Replied To :
| >-------------------------------------------------------------

| >| - Make sure you have only one clsid value here. You can safely delete all
| >| others here. Or download my registry fix at
| >| http://www.iecustomizer.com/SearchHookFixDownlaod.htm
| >|

Galen

In Ayush had this to say:

I spent over 10 minutes to see the difference in the URL's, then i
fount that o and a were wrong.

But as i said i have only 1 and i don't think that this is related to
my prob.
I want that IE don't intercept the words and leave them as they are.

Added: I'm not sure if I followed but ALSO (with the reg hack) make sure
you've disabled searching from the address bar. I have no giant authority
but it seems that /could/ also make it mess up and thus, well, it's not like
I was doing anything else or it's hard to change so it's worth looking at.

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/ http://kgiii.info/

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward." - Sherlock Holmes

Ayush

Are you saying to disable searching from Internet Explorer options ?
If yes, then no luck.
If you are saying somewhere in registry, i don't know where.

As is said, I think the http:// prefix is necessary to tell that it is a Internet
path not a local path (My Computer)

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search - www.Google.com
Want to know about a term - http://en.wikipedia.org

Replied To :

| In | Ayush had this to say:
|
| My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
|
| > I spent over 10 minutes to see the difference in the URL's, then i
| > fount that o and a were wrong.
| >
| > But as i said i have only 1 and i don't think that this is related to
| > my prob.
| > I want that IE don't intercept the words and leave them as they are.
|
| Added: I'm not sure if I followed but ALSO (with the reg hack) make sure
| you've disabled searching from the address bar. I have no giant authority
| but it seems that /could/ also make it mess up and thus, well, it's not like
| I was doing anything else or it's hard to change so it's worth looking at.
|
| --
| Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
| http://dts-l.org/ http://kgiii.info/
|
| "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
| its solution is its own reward." - Sherlock Holmes

Galen

In Ayush had this to say:

Are you saying to disable searching from Internet Explorer options ?
If yes, then no luck.
If you are saying somewhere in registry, i don't know where.

As is said, I think the http:// prefix is necessary to tell that it
is a Internet path not a local path (My Computer)

I was saying to disable it from the IE options. No luck eh? I really don't
know but wanted to toss that in there as a possible additional solution.