Cannot repair or re-install ntdsapi.dll LSASS.exe problems

G

A few months ago my father had a problem with his dell computer where on bootup, it would go through the startup process, then reboot automatically before the desktop appeared. Contacting windows helpline did not help get us out of this loop so they told us to re-install.

The new problem is we get an error message on startup before the desktop appears - lsass.exe error "This application failed to start because ntdsapi.dll was not found..."

We are using XP Home and the deive is NTFS

We used the boot disc and did r for repair on the 1st screen

This takes us to a dos style section where we can find the file c:\windows2\system32\ntdsapi.dll but cannot rename, delete or insert a copy to replace the existing file.

Going on from that section we can do a repair later when we have asked to do a re-install which tries to copy all the system files from the CD again. After 5% it gets stuck at ntdsapi.dll and cannot copy this file - can skip or quit, but will not copy.

On tring to do a re-install of XP bearing in mind that 2 OS have now thrown a wobbly, setup cannot create the folder \windows

Until this folder is set up the process cannot continue so i am totally stuck. Cannot repair or re-install.

The only way round this that i can see is to get another hard drive with XP that is ntfs formatted and make the original a slave to recover the files on it before reformatting, but we don't have a Hard drive available.

Can anyone shed any light on where i can go from here??

Any advice appreciated.
George

Ask a Question