Cannot install Money 2005 in Vista Business

I have read all the threads I can find on this, but none of them addresses my
situation. Here are steps I used:
1. insert disk, click on autorun.exe.
2. Vista says "This Program has known compatibility issues", and says I have
to install Macromedia Flash before installing. Since I have already installed
Adobe Flash Player 9 that should not be an issue, but when I clicked on Check
for Solutions Online it says I have to download Adobe Flash Player first.
Since I already have it, there is something wrong.
What is going on? Mike

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Install the program using Vista's Program Compatibility Wizard
and it should run just fine.

Make older programs run in this version of Windows
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/bf416877-c83f-4476-a3da-8ec98dcf5f101033.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

I have read all the threads I can find on this, but none of them addresses my
situation. Here are steps I used:
1. insert disk, click on autorun.exe.
2. Vista says "This Program has known compatibility issues", and says I have
to install Macromedia Flash before installing. Since I have already installed
Adobe Flash Player 9 that should not be an issue, but when I clicked on Check
for Solutions Online it says I have to download Adobe Flash Player first.
Since I already have it, there is something wrong.
What is going on? Mike

Hi Carey, thanks for the suggestion. Used the Wizard and the same thing came
up. I don't know how to get past the stuff that is going on in my item 2 in
my original post. Mike

Tom Allen

Mike F from TN said:
I have read all the threads I can find on this, but none of them
addresses my
situation. Here are steps I used:
1. insert disk, click on autorun.exe.
2. Vista says "This Program has known compatibility issues", and says
I have
to install Macromedia Flash before installing. Since I have already
installed
Adobe Flash Player 9 that should not be an issue, but when I clicked
on Check
for Solutions Online it says I have to download Adobe Flash Player
first.
Since I already have it, there is something wrong.
What is going on? Mike

Mike,

When I installed Money 2005 (UK version) under Vista Home Premium I had
to install Macromedia Flash V 9.0 from the Macromedia site, but as far
as I could see Version 9 had been pre-installed on the PC, however it
worked..

My real point is - should you get that far and if you have been using an
earlier version, then remember to update Money 2005 *before* you convert
a Money file from and old version otherwise there are compatibility
problems. Maybe those are the 'known issues'.
I had to hide the converted file, do the Money update and then rename
and convert the old version backup file created at the first conversion
in order to get it sorted out.

Tom

That worked! Thanks Carey. Now, the new problem is that I cannot seem to get
the program to load my backups. I removed the Read Only checks, still can't
grab them.

Hi Tom, thanks for reply. I got it installed, thanks to some help from Carey,
but now am having the problem you had with the backups. How do I "hide" my
Money files? And please give me some clue on how to do the other stuff you
suggested once they're hidden. I'm pretty new at this. Mike

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive
when you try to restore a backup file in Money:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310858/en-us

How to restore a backup file in Microsoft Money
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178850/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

That worked! Thanks Carey. Now, the new problem is that I cannot seem to get
the program to load my backups. I removed the Read Only checks, still can't
grab them.

Thanks again Carey. This should do it. If I have further problems I'll get
back to you. I really appreciate the time you take to help out like this for
old guys like me. I was fine with XP but Vista is another animal. I like it
but takes some getting used to. Mike (70 yrs young)

Carey, Money 2005 is now on my pc, updated and ready to go. However, now I
have other issues, which perhaps I should post on a non-Vista forum:
1. The program contually wants me to work online, and I don't use the online
services. It will not let me set up an account offline, it seems. So, what
method do I use to remain offline (yes, I always check the Work Offline box).
2. it is always looking for passwords, which I never had to use before. It
insists on my having a Passport login, which I signed up for (temporary
login)...and later found two lending institutions' web icons on my desktop.
Anyway, it doesn't recognize my password, I'm getting pretty fed up.
3. Tried to open the .mny file, no luck. Tried to restore backups, using the
various methods. No luck.
Help...

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You would have greater success in receiving good advice
if you would post to the Microsoft Money newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...298-078c-4734-b707-9e08dca21769&lang=en&cr=us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Carey, Money 2005 is now on my pc, updated and ready to go. However, now I
have other issues, which perhaps I should post on a non-Vista forum:
1. The program contually wants me to work online, and I don't use the online
services. It will not let me set up an account offline, it seems. So, what
method do I use to remain offline (yes, I always check the Work Offline box).
2. it is always looking for passwords, which I never had to use before. It
insists on my having a Passport login, which I signed up for (temporary
login)...and later found two lending institutions' web icons on my desktop.
Anyway, it doesn't recognize my password, I'm getting pretty fed up.
3. Tried to open the .mny file, no luck. Tried to restore backups, using the
various methods. No luck.
Help...

will do

Carey Frisch said:
[...]

Swingman

"Mike F from TN" wrote in message...
[...]

Do yourself a BIG favor and get rid of it ... won't be long before you'll
find that you are forced to upgrade to connect to your bank accounts.
AAMOF, both MSFT Money and Quicken have gone too damn far in their
condescension/playing fast and loose with our financial computering.

I wish I had a solution for you, but, while I use Money 2006 in a limited
fashion, I am phasing it out for web based online banking, with just a
checkbook program that prints checks.

You can't imagine the peace of mind from the freedom of MSFT Money phoning
home every time you open it and having to wait to use the program until it
gets finished.

This is VILE behavior, don't condone it and vote with your pocketbook ...
they'll eventually either get the picture, or the world will be so full of
dumba**es that you won't have any money left to worry about.

yeah, ms is very frustrating indeed. trouble is all my data for the past 5
years is on those backups and in that .mny file. I really don't want to have
to re-enter everything as i use it for tax purposes, too. thanks. i may go to
online banking through my little small town bank here. they have it. i just
have to get to it. Mike

Tom Allen

Mike F from TN said:
Hi Tom, thanks for reply. I got it installed, thanks to some help from
Carey,
but now am having the problem you had with the backups. How do I
"hide" my
Money files? And please give me some clue on how to do the other stuff
you
suggested once they're hidden. I'm pretty new at this. Mike

Mike,

I had guessed, perhaps wrongly, that you might have upgraded to Money
2005 on Vista from an earlier version of Money, if that's not so then
what I wrote is not relevant.

There is some danger of your losing data here so more genuine expertise
than mine is available in the more appropriate microsoft.public.money
community.

However as I have already written about conversion from an earlier
version and in case it matches your situation I'll answer -

By 'hide' I just meant rename or move your active Money 2005 data file
so that when you start Money 2005 it can't find it. Perhaps
'somename.mny' could become 'somename.BADmny'.

Money 2005 is actually version 14 of Money , the 2002 version I had
previously was version 10.

When I first converted from 2002 to 2005, Money had created a backup of
the old 2002 data file called 'Myname.M10' as it should. When I found
that in order to get a good conversion I should have updated the Money
program first, I renamed the active live data file from 'myname.mny' to
hide it, then copied/renamed 'Myname.M10' to 'TEMP.mny' or some such.

I then got the updated Money 2005 program to convert 'TEMP.mny' (which
was still in 2002 format) to a 2005 format ' .mny' file which worked
OK.

You might first want to make a further copy of your 'somename.Mxx'
backup to 'somename.SAVEDMxx' or similar ( xx is whatever version
number you were on previously) in the belt and braces tradition.

If you've gone to Vista on a new PC you might also have the option of
retrieving the .mny data file from the old one and starting conversion
again with an up to date Money 2005.

As I recollect Money 2005 initiated it's own updating, I have version
14.0.120.1105 now, there may be US/UK differences. 2005 is the most
recent UK version available despite current exchange rates :)
If I have to buy a Euro version in order to update I will not be happy !

Please ignore anything which is not relevant, which could well be all of
the above !

Good luck,
Tom

Thanks again, Tom. Others have suggested going to the Money forum too so I
will do that first. However, I've printed your latest reply and will revert
to it if needed. Best regards, Mike

PS my wife is a British citizen born in Hanwell area near London 69 years
ago. Moved here in '68, I met her in '90.