Cannot copy files during XP install

D

Don P.

Installing XP - stops on the file WDMAUD.DRV --"cannot
copy file" Later, cannot copy DRIVER.CAB, then at least
10 others during the course of the installation.

ASUS P4CP-E deluxe motherboard, Seagate SCSI drives
(RAID - Adaptec 2100S)

Thanks

R

Ryan J

I'm getting the same problem. Trying to install with
Windows XP Pro on my newly built system. Asus P4C800
with Intel P4 3.0Ghz and other stuff. But, i have tried
Windows XP Pro as well as Windows Server 2003 Evaluation
that i have and i recieve errors of the same degree that
you are recieving on both were files "could not be
copied" and then if i press enter for retry, its a 50/50
chance that it will go through, then if im lucky to
finish the install, it generally with have some end
before i can even reboot to input my cd-key and
everything. Unfortunately, I could not find any
information through the "Knowledge Base" which i cant
even really consider it that anymore so this is my last
resort. Any ideas Bill? ;)

P

Phil Davidson

I had the same problem everytime I tried to install
upgrades/full releases on our networks. The common
denominator for me was the all the pc's with issues had
LG electronics cd,cd/rw,and dvd roms in them which for
some reason cannot read the cd sent from MS. I found by
taking the cd to another PC in the network(one that could
read the cd's)and made a copy of the original MS cd and
retried the install it worked fine. I also could get it
to work by copying the i386 folder of the cd to our
server and back to the workstations HDD and installing it
from there. I have no idea what the deal is but I have
had this same problem on about 150 machines ranging from
1-3 years old and having LG drives.

P

Phil Davidson

Actually its probably not either. I have had the same
problem on any pc with an LG Electronics drive
(cd/rw,cd,dvd rom). I thought I got a bad bunch of bad
cd's or a couple of defective drives but when put in my
Compaq workstation(poineer DVD rom) they read fine. If
you make a copy of the original cd (or just the i386
folder)and install from that there is no problem. The
age range on these drives was 1-3 years old if anyone has
any idea why this is please send me and email - also i'd
love to know if thers a fix for it(heh other than buying
a new drive). - note: firmware upgrade didn't help.

M

Manda Luyong

Had the same problems with the CD-ROM players on some of our Dell machines.
Would not read CDs from Adobe. Created a copy of the CD and used it without
a problem.

Reaction score
Memory!

I just got done with the exhaustion of figuring out what was going on with the windows install.

Cd was fine.
Cd drive was fine.
everything else in working order.

I realized that it could be a memory problem so I put in memory that I knew worked. and sure enough it was a case of bad memory. Either try reliable memory, or run a dos memory diag. maybe that can solve your problems.

Reaction score
Bad Ram

I just wanted to let ayone out there know, if they are having these erros, that I had the same but I had 4 GB of ram and found that 1 GB stick was bad

Took all 4 out and put one in at a time and found the one that was causing errors

Thanks

Reaction score
IT'S THE RAM!!! i had this problem a few days ago with a number of my computers. initially i always thought it was something to do with my hard disks-i even bought a new one but to my surprise, the problem persisted. it was until i sought online help and ruled out any advice to do with the hard disk. after this i eliminated one of my two RAM chips, a 128MB and left with a 64MB, ran the XP setup and it WORKED! that same afternoon i formatted another pc and installed XP!! thanks to all of u

Reaction score
Cannot copy files during xp intall

I have the exact same problem with xp and installation, but before that my IDE HDD crashed so I replaced it with WD sata300MB/s 500GB one, ever since that my life for the past week has been you can imagine especially with a four week old son. Installation went fine the first time, got everything done and tried to install Crysis. All I got was CrC errors, somehow I forced it and installed, but having minor porblems. Next came to Oblivion and even worse, tried all tricks forums have to offer, even bought a dvd drive Asus DVD-E616A3T connected by way of sata, still same error. So I went and tried to update BIOS on Asus Striker Extreme with verson 0901 to 1401. I read you have to load factory setting prior to update, since that could not post for 4 days also tried all tricks no luck. One day just turned it on one last time before I would RMA it and what do you know, it works fine. Updated bios and still same problem. So I thought why not refresh HDD with new xp intallation cause could not open any of my xcell and word files. Tried repair, cannot copy this file, tried new install cannot copy this file F3 abort cause retry does not help. Now waiting for formatting to finish to see how far I can get. If this fails then as mentioned above time for new RAM. I also have LG lightscribe optical drive, will try later with Asus only and let you guys know, but my question is this how do you know if RAM is good or not, obviously if all goes well RAM ok, but if not then what are the signs and also how do I change voltage for it.

Thanks much

Intell core 2 extreme QX6700 2.66 GHz
Mobo Asus Striker Extreme BIOS 1401
Corsair Dominator XMS2 twin2X2048-6400C3DF R 1G x 2
2 Evga 8800GTX R cards
WD Sata 300 MB/s 500G hard drive
Thermaltake toughpower 850W

Reaction score
Installed xp anew with just basic one vga Evga 8800 GTX R, one corsair 1G, sound card and rear accessories out like extra usb ports, just basic components that the pc can function with. Strange because I installed it fine with LG Lightscribe DVD RW and it worked. Then I hooked up all other peripherals after installation and second optical drive just a SATA DVD Rom by Asus, another 8800 GTX R video card and after booting in I tried to install vga drivers for the cards to run in SLI, I tried using the regular dvd rom because I read that its slower and more precise than the DVD and CD RW so it should have less of a chance of a CRC error, but sure enough one popped out. Aborted and tried the LG and installed without any porblems. I thought it was the RAM, but still wandering in the dark. Does this mean that SATA could have a problem functioning well with the LG which is connected through IDE as Master and no other peripherals on the IDE? Still going to try different combinations with the drives in installing Oblivion and Crysis and see if RAM is also creating problems.

Reaction score
Ryan J said:
I'm getting the same problem. Trying to install with
Windows XP Pro on my newly built system. Asus P4C800
with Intel P4 3.0Ghz and other stuff. But, i have tried
Windows XP Pro as well as Windows Server 2003 Evaluation
that i have and i recieve errors of the same degree that
you are recieving on both were files "could not be
copied" and then if i press enter for retry, its a 50/50
chance that it will go through, then if im lucky to
finish the install, it generally with have some end
before i can even reboot to input my cd-key and
everything. Unfortunately, I could not find any
information through the "Knowledge Base" which i cant
even really consider it that anymore so this is my last
resort. Any ideas Bill? ;)

>-----Original Message-----
>Installing XP - stops on the file WDMAUD.DRV --"cannot
>copy file" Later, cannot copy DRIVER.CAB, then at least
>10 others during the course of the installation.
>
>ASUS P4CP-E deluxe motherboard, Seagate SCSI drives
>(RAID - Adaptec 2100S)
>
>Thanks
>.
>

I was having problems installing XP Pro on new machine, reading your article prompted me to use my cdrom from my first computer that I had installed XP Pro on using the same disc without any errors, to the new machine that I kept receiving errors that it setup cannot copy files driver.cab and along long list of others.

Using my orginal LG CD-R/RW DRIVE model CED-8O83B COMPAQ PART NO. 152628-806 I was able to install the XP Pro OS system into the new machine with no errors.

Success.

Thank you very much, I was becoming very frustrated and had been trying to get this installed for three days. I had tried using the UBCD, tried other versions of Windows OS, all with no success.

I hope that this will help you.

Karen

Reaction score
Cannot copy file on XP Install

I have been chasing this problem for several weeks on a PC that had recently been upgraded to XP and a top of the range video card added, it suddenly crashed and after that would not load XP correctly and flagged lots of other errors along the way which have only confused and miss directed the fault finding etc etc.
With the help of another PC and applying the process of elimination I tried every combination of hardware and software configurations spoken about in this forum and others. Every piece of hardware proved to work. Proved everything from a corrupt XP disc to possible damaged motherboard..
The job was heading for the bin but I spotted a references to RAM memory in a forum relating to a similar problem and decided to checkout the RAM cards etc . Removed one of the original 128 RAM memory cards and as if by majic a result XP fully loaded.

Reaction score
I have had this problem in the past (and again today). Today I was loading XP Pro from a slipstreamed disk for dual boot with W7. The XP load stalled when a file could not be found, and a fatal error resulted. In my case, I switched XP disks and got a full install that is just finishing as I type this. I thought I had a RAM issue or a bad block, but just using a different burned XP disk solved the problem.

I have also had to slip a different XP disk that the system could read the necessary file(s) from into the CDROM and continue loading!. That worked fine and the result has been reliable and problem free for over a month now.

I did not think that would work, but did (on a non-fatal) unreadable file XP install issue. I have always learned ;'the hard way' with computers and the discovery that I could insert files by just switching between XP disks during an install was quite a surprise to me..
Best,
fallsoff

Reaction score
IT'S THE RAM!!! i had this problem a few days ago with a number of my computers. initially i always thought it was something to do with my hard disks-i even bought a new one but to my surprise, the problem persisted. it was until i sought online help and ruled out any advice to do with the hard disk. after this i eliminated one of my two RAM chips, a 128MB and left with a 64MB, ran the XP setup and it WORKED! that same afternoon i formatted another pc and installed XP!! thanks to all of u

Thanks for great suggestion,

I have removed one of my RAM which sits loosely in the socket. now problem solved.
Thanks a lot.

Ask a Question