Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?

C

Charlie Tame

PD43 said:
I think the speaker is driver-independent and is a Windows thing.

Mine comes up with AC97 audio, a mixer option, recording and playback
controls etc. It is different to what comes up on other machines (With
different onboard sound cards).

(I don't mean the PC speaker, the system tray icon is what I meant).

P

PD43

Mine comes up with AC97 audio, a mixer option, recording and playback
controls etc. It is different to what comes up on other machines (With
different onboard sound cards).

(I don't mean the PC speaker, the system tray icon is what I meant).

I'm talking about the system tray icon as well. I have both: one is
the standard Windows speaker icon, the other is for my Soundblaster
card.

C

Charlie Tame

PD43 said:
I'm talking about the system tray icon as well. I have both: one is
the standard Windows speaker icon, the other is for my Soundblaster
card.

Ah, well I can't say for sure about playback but I know a driver update
changed mine a bit and also corrected a mic problem I had been
experiencing with skype.

As far as playback is concerned I "Think" it also corrected some speaker
setting anomaly (6 min jacks on my MB) where one jack was left and right
crossed over but I was not really paying attention because it was unused
at that time. Now however it is definitely the right way around.
Wouldn't swear to that though because it was a while ago and I wasn't
planning on using it.

J

Joe Schmoe

Our drivers? do all of us have the same hardware? same mobo's? same audio cards? are all of us using vista now, what versions are we using? have all of us who are using vista now used XP and DID IT WORK??

Well I know 15 of my clients who used XP all diffrent manufactures, (diffrent versions of XP as well..Home,Pro) diffrent mobo's, diffrent sound cards, all Drivers\Updates up to date in XP, and decided to upgrade to vista and all of them including myself (like others here) cannot get MICROSOFT'S VISTA to play audio through 2 outputs at once!

So.. how can we ask those who post here have you done your updates, or Tell them it's There (your) hardware, when so many have posted here with diffrent specs and all are having the same issue.... Not to mention it's all over google\search engines that people are having this issue and as far as i've researched no one has found a fix to it as of yet.

what really amazes me is all the posts here of people who have multiple audio sources, and the way society\Technology is changing with networking, multiple rooms\floors\Zones with tv\audio\video, surround sound etc...

Why they (MICROSOFT) push there all-in-one Almighty Media Center\Player (cough cough)and would take away a much needed option for media sharing(sound)\networking(Sound)\ the ultimate home\business experience.

One last note... multi-room\channels\Zones\floors of audio have been around for eons. Almost all surrond sound processors\recievers (even consumer ones from BestNOTBuy have the ability to push audio simultaneously to diffrent zones at once. AND XP DID AS WELL!!!

I'll be back in a few months to see if there's been any headway... good luck to all of you that are in the same boat as myself..

J

joeschmoe

Our drivers? do all of us have the same hardware? same mobo's? same audio cards? are all of us using vista now, what versions are we using? have all of us who are using vista now used XP and DID IT WORK??

Well I know 15 of my clients who used XP all diffrent manufactures, (diffrent versions of XP as well..Home,Pro) diffrent mobo's, diffrent sound cards, all Drivers\Updates up to date in XP, and decided to upgrade to vista and all of them including myself (like others here) cannot get MICROSOFT'S VISTA to play audio through 2 outputs at once!

So.. how can we ask those who post here have you done your updates, or Tell them it's There (your) hardware, when so many have posted here with diffrent specs and all are having the same issue.... Not to mention it's all over google\search engines that people are having this issue and as far as i've researched no one has found a fix to it as of yet.

what really amazes me is all the posts here of people who have multiple audio sources, and the way society\Technology is changing with networking, multiple rooms\floors\Zones with tv\audio\video, surround sound etc...

Why they (MICROSOFT) push there all-in-one Almighty Media Center\Player (cough cough)and would take away a much needed option for media sharing(sound)\networking(Sound)\ the ultimate home\business experience.

One last note... multi-room\channels\Zones\floors of audio have been around for eons. Almost all surrond sound processors\recievers (even consumer ones from BestNOTBuy have the ability to push audio simultaneously to diffrent zones at once. AND XP DID AS WELL!!!

I'll be back in a few months to see if there's been any headway... good luck to all of you that are in the same boat as myself..

J

joeschmoe

R

Rhodri MM-D

Hi i have a fix for this (thank god) and you have to download Vitual Audio Cable (the pirate bay has a full version or you could google for the trial) and then follow these instructions.
How to do it:
1) Create one virtual audio cable. Is already created after install, it is called "Virtual Cable 1". You don't have to modify anything.
2) Run "Audio Repeater (KS)" from Start menu.
3) In the Wave In combo select "Virtual Cable 1".
4) In the Wave Out combo select "Audio Speaker" (depends on computer).
5) Click Start
6) Run SECOND "Audio Repeater (KS) from Start menu.
7) In the Wave In combo select "Virtual Cable 1".
8) In the Wave Out combo select "Audio SPDIF Out" (depends on computer).
9) Click Start
10) Run Windows Media Player, go to menu Tools, Options, Devices, double click Speakers, select Virtual Audio Cable, click OK 2x.
11) Play audio in the player
12) Enjoy never before possible multiple output audio playback!
13) And yes I fully agree that Microsoft developers are a bunch of morons!
My computer includes an HDMI output port on an ADD2 card. The card is
internally connected to the High Definition Audio Device header on the main
board to provide audio output via the HDMI jack. The computer also has
typical 7.1 audio output via ST jacks and an SPDIF jack. The only way I've
found to switch among the audio output devices is to use Control Panel -
Sound - Manage Audio Devices. After setting HDMI Device, Speakers, or SPDIF
as the Default playback device, I have to close the applet and restart any
audio applications before the output is switched to the selected device.
This is really cumbersome and inconvenient.

Is there a way to open the Manage Audio Devices applet directly (without
having to go through Control Panel) to make this selection more convenient?

Also, audio is only output to the device selected as the Default device,
rather than all devices simultaneously. Thus, if you have a digital TV with
an HDMI input, but a receiver with only analog inputs, you can't switch
between the TV's speakers and the receiver's speakers without first going
through the procedure to switch the default playback device and restart any
applications. And you can't use both at the same time.

Is there a way to output to all audio devices simultaneously so I can simply
listen to the desired device by controlling its volume?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
On Friday, June 29, 2007 8:58 PM Cal Bear '66 wrote:
An easy way to get to the Playback Devices and Recording Devices is to right
click on the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar.

As to your other question about multiple simultaneous playback devices, I too
would like to know how to accomplish that.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

news:%[email protected]...
On Friday, June 29, 2007 9:42 PM Richard G. Harper wrote:
No version of Windows supports multiple active outputs at once.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

news:%[email protected]...

Ask a Question