can,t install xp pro from boot disc set downloaded from microsoft

I have been having problems since trying to upgrade from xp home to xp pro. Installation failed aand got stuck in a loop i could not get out of. So i downloaded boot file disc set and installed them but they failed with error in the .sif file an error caused i beleive because i had not downloaded the correct set of boot discs to go with xp pro with service pack 1

have tried installing new disc set but they fail in disc 4 with the following message
File sbp2port.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 5897 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

along the bottom of the screen in the gray area it says setup failed press any key to restart your computer

Kevin

Boot from the install CD. You will have the opportunity to format and
partition drives from there. Just out of curiosity, why are you moving from
XP Home to Pro?

"Geoffrey Nice but definatly no Techie" <Geoffrey Nice but definatly no
I have been having problems since trying to upgrade from xp home to xp
pro. Installation failed aand got stuck in a loop i could not get out of. So
i downloaded boot file disc set and installed them but they failed with
error in the .sif file an error caused i beleive because i had not
downloaded the correct set of boot discs to go with xp pro with service pack
1
have tried installing new disc set but they fail in disc 4 with the following message
File sbp2port.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 5897 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

along the bottom of the screen in the gray area it says setup failed press
any key to restart your computer

Thanks for the reply and the help Kevin unfortunatly i cannot seem to run from cd. When i turn system on it says NTLDR is missing
press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I was recommended to use xp pro by a freind. I had both and was in the process of setting up my new machine so it did not seem like much of a [roblem to do.Big mistake !

joust in jest

Enter BIOS and set your CD as first boot device. Then your system will boot
from CD and you can partition and format your drive and install Win XP
directly from CD.

steve

"Geoffrey Nice but definatly no Techie"
Thanks for the reply and the help Kevin unfortunatly i cannot seem to run
from cd. When i turn system on it says NTLDR is missing
press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I was recommended to use xp pro by a freind. I had both and was in the
process of setting up my new machine so it did not seem like much of a
[roblem to do.Big mistake !

Thanks for the reply but unfortunatly my system is already set to boot from cd

But when i turn machine on with or without cd in drive i see

joust in jest said:
Enter BIOS and set your CD as first boot device. Then your system will boot
from CD and you can partition and format your drive and install Win XP
directly from CD.

steve

"Geoffrey Nice but definatly no Techie"
Thanks for the reply and the help Kevin unfortunatly i cannot seem to run
from cd. When i turn system on it says NTLDR is missing
press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I was recommended to use xp pro by a freind. I had both and was in the
process of setting up my new machine so it did not seem like much of a
[roblem to do.Big mistake !

Kevin

Try running the System File Checker (SFC) to have Windows look for missing
or damaged files. Have your XP disk handy.

"Geoffrey Nice but definatly no Techie"
Thanks for the reply and the help Kevin unfortunatly i cannot seem to run
from cd. When i turn system on it says NTLDR is missing
press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I was recommended to use xp pro by a freind. I had both and was in the
process of setting up my new machine so it did not seem like much of a
[roblem to do.Big mistake !

Hi Kevin thanks very much for your help and advice. I have now solved my problem by going back to xp home. The only way i could do this is by downloading a fresh set of boot discs from microsoft ( first time i did not realise there was a version with sp1 and one without and of course i got the wrong one) Once i had the correct boot disc i was able to load them and then the cd booted and i could finish the instal using my xp cd. At least i have got a working copy now. Touch wood